Re: New Enterprise Look - Size part II

Post by Meste17 »

Anyone else?
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Didn't you already do this, and decide on 993 metres?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Any and all of these numbers are totally arbitrary unless put in context. Why on size over another, how does it effect crew size ect does I reduce production runs.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Size also depends the shape the ship. Size right now means every little if there is no general idea of what the ship look like.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A ship design must be methodical not just slapping a bunch of arbitrary numbers together.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. You draw the ship. From there you can place weapons how it would look on your ship. Certain things you can assume without the ship design. Such as how fast it will go for example.

All the ships I ever designed had it's number of weapons and their locations dictated by the drawing itself.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When I did the Daystromship with everyone here. We selected what we wanted the ship to have, then built the hull of the ship around it, rather than the other way round.

Each choice had pros and cons. More tubes ment long production time and less room for other stuff. Higher power shields and phasers needed a larger core which adds instability and takes room. We had a limited amount of resources given to us so if you built bigger it ment less ships over all.

If there is no down side to any choice you may as well say it has 542755 torpedo tubes and mega pimp phasers and 364355 cm of armor.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is one way of doing it without having an actual picture on hand.

Someone asked me a couple of years ago to attempt to draw that ship though.