The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Starbase

Post by Meste17 »

So I have found a starbase that I want to use:

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs28/PRE/f/2 ... acarts.jpg

Problem is I can not even tell how many phasers and photon torpedo emplacements that thing has, or even where they are right now. :( Any help?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Starbase

Post by McAvoy »

Two thibngs,

One) is that yours? If not how do you plan on using it? If by yourself then go for it. But otherwise ask for permission first.

Second) assume anything you want for it. All the star bases do not have visible weapons. Only DS9 did and the new weapons in Way of the Warrior had them hidden or converted.

Up to you. Also you might want to ask yourself what role is that Starbase have.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:Two thibngs,

One) is that yours? If not how do you plan on using it? If by yourself then go for it. But otherwise ask for permission first.

Second) assume anything you want for it. All the star bases do not have visible weapons. Only DS9 did and the new weapons in Way of the Warrior had them hidden or converted.

Up to you. Also you might want to ask yourself what role is that Starbase have.

Ok, then Two Things

One) Of course not. By myself.

Two) Well, try to work this out with me then. I want to stay to where it would be actually.....consistent.....with a station of that size. It is primarily an Engineering Station, but also doubles as a Patrol station.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Its a fairly large star base. There are no visible weapons ifrom what I can tell.

Patrol base? You mean a base of operations for patrols? What does an engineering base do? Do you mean a science station?

In both cases the base should not be too heavily armed
If it were up to me I would guess the base should be powerful enough to defend itself from three Galaxy class ships at once.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I can't see anything but one phaser array for sure, but there are a number of little structures that could be weapon emplacements (ala DS9).

I circled the phaser arrays in yellow
The weapon emplacements (?) in red
The possible weapon emplacements (or docking mechanism?) in green

There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I can't see anything but one phaser array for sure, but there are a number of little structures that could be weapon emplacements (ala DS9).

I circled the phaser arrays in yellow
The weapon emplacements (?) in red
The possible weapon emplacements (or docking mechanism?) in green

Okay, thanks for that little bit of info.

From what I saw, that would mean that the station had at least 540 TOTAL phaser banks (including the 12 arrays), and 600 torpedo launchers. Would that be an accurate assessment? (Considering that there would be exactly the same on the other side as well). :)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I think 600 torpedo launchers would be overly excessive. I can't think of a word to explain just how excessive, but a lot.

I would suggest using the Starbases on the DITL site for some sort of reference:

DS9
6 x Type XI phaser banks
63 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 1,250,000 TeraWatts
66 x Pulse fire photon torpedo tube

Spacedock
370 x Type XII phaser arrays, total output 2,240,000 TeraWatts
24 x Type 2 burst fire photon torpedo tube

SB-173
50 x Type XII phaser arrays, total output 300,000 TeraWatts
4 x Type 3 burst fire photon torpedo tube

SB-74
2000 x Type XII phaser arrays, total output 12,150,000 TeraWatts
96 x Type 2 burst fire photon torpedo tube

There's a few more, take a gander. I generally use them as a template to determine how well a starbase is to be armed in my own universe. Bear in mind that SB-74 is the massive starbase seen in the episode with the Bynars. Most starbases I would expect to be more in line with SB-173 or SB-375. IMO.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I think 600 torpedo launchers would be overly excessive. I can't think of a word to explain just how excessive, but a lot.

I would suggest using the Starbases on the DITL site for some sort of reference:

DS9
6 x Type XI phaser banks
63 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 1,250,000 TeraWatts
66 x Pulse fire photon torpedo tube

Spacedock
370 x Type XII phaser arrays, total output 2,240,000 TeraWatts
24 x Type 2 burst fire photon torpedo tube

SB-173
50 x Type XII phaser arrays, total output 300,000 TeraWatts
4 x Type 3 burst fire photon torpedo tube

SB-74
2000 x Type XII phaser arrays, total output 12,150,000 TeraWatts
96 x Type 2 burst fire photon torpedo tube

There's a few more, take a gander. I generally use them as a template to determine how well a starbase is to be armed in my own universe. Bear in mind that SB-74 is the massive starbase seen in the episode with the Bynars. Most starbases I would expect to be more in line with SB-173 or SB-375. IMO.
Okay, tell me how many phaser banks and torpedo systems you think that starbase up above should have.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Well, according to THIS:
  • 50 Type XII phaser arrays
  • 22 torpedo launchers (capable of firing quantum or photon torpedoes)
  • 9,000 Photon torpedoes
  • 1,000 quantum torpedoes
I'd say that's about right, given its role.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well that's a Prometheus docked at the back there. Prometheus is 415 m long, and seems to be about the size of those chunks of hull that the docking arms stick out of. By my eyeball estimate, that makes that docking ring about 2,200 m in diameter.

That's makes the station somewhat bigger than DS9 - about a third larger in diameter, especially given that the docking ports stick out rather than in (which is an extremely sensible design choice).

But it's tiny compared to the likes of Spacedock, whose diameter is 3,800 m, and certainly compared to SB74 which is 8,700 m across and more than 10,000 m tall. Personally I'd be pitching it as about 1/5 the armament of Spacedock.

I also wouldn't go with phaser "banks". Those things on the upper surface look very much like arrays, so I'd give it phaser arrays.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Could be phaser turrets. High powered phasers that need to be moved to be aimed. Just an idea.

Armament doesn't have to be big though. It could be a total of six high powered phasers that can pinch through shields in one hit. It has a slow cycling and draws a lot of energy.

Doesn't have to be run of the mill.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Could be none, its not a battle station, Starbases are just that, bases, not forts. It would have a few phasers. Torpedoes are useless on a station.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Teaos wrote:Could be none, its not a battle station, Starbases are just that, bases, not forts. It would have a few phasers. Torpedoes are useless on a station.
Torpedoes allow a station to engage targets that are maneuvering fast enough to remain outside its beam weapons range. The attacking ship can fire either its beam weapons or torpedoes, but if the station can't bracket the target with its weapons, it needs a longer-range weapon to deal with the attacker.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Trek torpedoes need to be fired from a launcher facing the target usually, stations aren't very mobile.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Trek torpedoes need to be fired from a launcher facing the target usually, stations aren't very mobile.
Not really - we've seen enough cases of torpedoes manoeuvring to strike targets (TUC being the most obvious) to suggest a pretty wide engagement envelope, even if they usually try to establish as straight a line of flight as possible.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.