New Enterprise Look - Part XIX: Capabilities

The Next Generation

What kind of capabilities should the Enterprise have?

-Saucer Separation, like the Galaxy class
No votes
-Multi Vector Assault Mode, like the Prometheus class
No votes
-Fighter carrier, the first of her kind.
33%
-Cloaking Device
No votes
-ECM measures
33%
-Option 1 and 2
No votes
-Option 2 and 3
No votes
-Option 1 and 3
No votes
-Option 1 2 and 4
No votes
-Option 2 3 and 4
No votes
-Option 1 3 and 4
No votes
-All of the above
33%
-None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 3
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: New Enterprise Look - Part XIX: Capabilities

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Well, to be fair, the E-Nil was original supposedly one of 12 vessels of the class, and they were considered frontline vessels.
Kirk once said that there were only a dozen like her in the fleet, but whether that refers to the Constitution class or something else wasn't explicitly stated.
From what I recall of the E-A, I believe I read somewhere that she was supposed to be the Yorktown, but was commissioned as Enterprise after the previous ship was lost. Obviously they could have simply kept the name for a newer ship, but guess they wanted Kirk back in command asap or something.
That's one version of what happened, and makes a degree of sense given that she was decommissioned after less than a decade, but again it's not explicit. She may have been newly commissioned, and her decommissioning have been for a change of name to free up "Enterprise" for the E-B.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I still say that a Defiant carrier would be really cool and useful.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think to make that more viable, the defiant would need to be nurfed a bit. As it is. It's just to capable. If it was slower and had less range it would be a lot more plausible.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:I still say that a Defiant carrier would be really cool and useful.

Well if the ship was a mile long and carried five or six Defiant on its belly it could be possible.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I have voted for the ECM. Cloaking device is forbidden... But I don't see Starfleet not trying to gain an advantage on eletronic warfare to compense this. Specially when ships have so powerful emiters and computers.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:
Jim wrote:I still say that a Defiant carrier would be really cool and useful.

Well if the ship was a mile long and carried five or six Defiant on its belly it could be possible.
Externally mounted
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

DarkMoineau wrote:I have voted for the ECM. Cloaking device is forbidden... But I don't see Starfleet not trying to gain an advantage on eletronic warfare to compense this. Specially when ships have so powerful emiters and computers.
Too be fair, cloaking devices are banned to Starfleet in the 24th century -- which didn't stop Starfleet from operating at least two ships with cloaking devices (Pegasus and Defiant). With the death of much of the Romulan leadership in Nemesis and the eventual destruction of Romulus I wouldn't be shocked that the Feds decided to "renegotiate" the treaty between the E-E and E-H.

Still, ECM would be cool too!

[Edit]: Also, we can't have 1 and 4?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:I have voted for the ECM. Cloaking device is forbidden... But I don't see Starfleet not trying to gain an advantage on eletronic warfare to compense this. Specially when ships have so powerful emiters and computers.
Too be fair, cloaking devices are banned to Starfleet in the 24th century -- which didn't stop Starfleet from operating at least two ships with cloaking devices (Pegasus and Defiant). With the death of much of the Romulan leadership in Nemesis and the eventual destruction of Romulus I wouldn't be shocked that the Feds decided to "renegotiate" the treaty between the E-E and E-H.

Still, ECM would be cool too!

[Edit]: Also, we can't have 1 and 4?
At any moment, specially since the Defiant, a cloaking Device could indeed appear. After all Admiral Riker didn't had one on the Enterprise D? But I think Starfleet probably used ECM before the discovery of cloaking devices and before having one... and after the Tomed Incident. But i don't remember any word about it. Even Star Wars which isn't really evolved in real technologies have ECM at least on the second Death Star.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I actually liked an idea that popped in one of the pre-Destiny novels where Starfleet had the schematics of a working purely Starfleet cloaking device under lock and key in every Starfleet ship... just in case.

It seemed to me that Starfleet maintained a technological edge over the other powers and to me it makes sense they could easily develop their own claoking device without having to use it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The treaty was for developing the tech as well I think. Thus having a copy of it on every ship with instructions to deploy it if needed... seems to let way to many people in on a secret that could start a war.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

McAvoy wrote:I actually liked an idea that popped in one of the pre-Destiny novels where Starfleet had the schematics of a working purely Starfleet cloaking device under lock and key in every Starfleet ship... just in case.

It seemed to me that Starfleet maintained a technological edge over the other powers and to me it makes sense they could easily develop their own claoking device without having to use it.
Starfleet obviously has the technological edge: no other Nation have so polyvalent ships and yet Starfleet vessels are able do be a match without being bigger. In fact they are even smaller if they just carry weapons, as showed by the Defiant and Galaxy versus Vor'Cha and D'Deridex.

For forbiding working on the technology... Even if Starfleet didn't worked on it after Tomed, they still had the device on the Defiant.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In terms of volume, the Galaxy isnt to far off the Vor'Cha in terms of useable space.

DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Teaos wrote:In terms of volume, the Galaxy isnt to far off the Vor'Cha in terms of useable space.
The difference is easily explainable by comfort and scientific devices.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: but guess they wanted Kirk back in command asap or something.
I don´t think so because by that time Kirk was already an almirant and he went back to service because Enterprise was the only ship available and her captain didn´t had much experience.
Sonic Glitch wrote:Too be fair, cloaking devices are banned to Starfleet in the 24th century -- which didn't stop Starfleet from operating at least two ships with cloaking devices (Pegasus and Defiant). With the death of much of the Romulan leadership in Nemesis and the eventual destruction of Romulus I wouldn't be shocked that the Feds decided to "renegotiate" the treaty between the E-E and E-H.
Pegasus and Defiant aren't good examples because Pegasus was not sanctioned by SF IIRC, was an illegal reserch and Defiant was an exception to the treaty because of the dominion threat (They even had a romulan officer onboard for a while) and the device was probably withdrawn after the war (That doesn't mean they din't got a glimpse of the tech). Of course they could have renegotiate the treaty or even ignore it after the destruction of Romulus.

The Enterprise from All Good Things had cloaking device so if this universe is believable it could mean that the Treaty of Algeron is no longer an issue by this time frame.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SomosFuga wrote:Pegasus was not sanctioned by SF IIRC, was an illegal reserch
It was a black project, and illegal under the terms of Algeron, but she was still a Starfleet vessel. There's also the holoship to consider, but it's possible that it was only equipped with a version of the duck blind rather than a proper cloak.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.