31%
No
69%

Total votes: 13
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Thorin wrote:Data has absolutelty no development in any of TNG. In every single episode/film he attempts to discover some more humanity, seemingly succeeds, and then in the next he's back to his complete lack of humanity again.
Generations - cries when Spot is found
First Contact - becomes nearly human, understands emotions
Insurrection - doesn't understand why a little boy is afraid, by the end does understand and becomes kid like
Nemesis - doesn't feel anything for his brother

It's completely retarded. They try to develop his character from lack of humanity to more humanity in every single film and many episodes.
I actually thought Data's character development was fine in the series. It's in the movies where it got all mucked up. The emotions chip in Generations was a cheap thrill that the writers thought the fans would want, but that cheapened his character SO much. It felt like bad fan fiction to me. But that wasn't the worst part: in First Contact, he could suddenly control his emotion chip. WTF?! I thought it was fused and couldn't be removed, let alone modified. Then, in Insurrection, I don't know what the heck they were thinking when they wrote for Data... The last two movies both totally threw continuity out the window; does Data even have emotions?! Such a waste of a great character.