New Enterprise Look - Part X: Number of phaser weapons

Post by Meste17 »

How many phasers should the ship carry?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Enterprise Look - Part X: Number of phaser weapons

Post by McAvoy »

Would it even be phasers? Why not something new?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dislike new weapon systems. Why change to new system X when starfleet has literally centuries developing phases which seem very effective usually.

We have never seen evidence that one beam weapon is better than another, just more advanced in its deployment.

Humans have been using chemically projected bits of metal for close to 500 years.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Humans had arrows, spears and blade weapons for thousands of years.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Exactly. People tend to hold on to one type of tech, advancing it until something dramatically better and different is developed. Swapping phasers for some other random beam weapon is not the same as arrows to bullets.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

When I meany something new I didn't mean something like a uber super duper time eraser transporter beam quantum laser pointer weapon.

I mean something like a new type of beam weapon. Like the difference between a late 19th century rifle and one today for example. Just like a photon torpedo is similar to a quantum torpedo in that they both are torpedoes that are launched from some sort of launcher.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah I see, but I still think it should still be a phaser, at least in common talk. We use gun to refer to a massive range of things. But Type XXI phaser... Sure.