-Heavy Cruiser
14%

Total votes: 7
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Enterprise Look - Part III: Role

Post by Meste17 »

As we know, the Enterprise has ALMOST ALWAYS been the best, most powerful starship the Federation has had to offer. However, some have been heavy cruisers, some explorers and battleships.

So this question about the good old (or shall I say new) Enterprise-H is up above.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: New Enterprise Look - Part III: Role

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Explorer type is already a battleship, albeit not dedicated to the role, as seen by the repeated deployment of the GCS in combat.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Could it be possible that with the evolving political climate in the galaxy, that Starfleet decides to produce dedicated explorers and dedicated battleships separate of each other.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Captain Seafort wrote:The Explorer type is already a battleship, albeit not dedicated to the role, as seen by the repeated deployment of the GCS in combat.
Which is why I put battleship here anyway. Some ships are purely battleships at heart.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Could it be possible that with the evolving political climate in the galaxy, that Starfleet decides to produce dedicated explorers and dedicated battleships separate of each other.
Quite possibly, again why I put these separate of each other.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Though, as this is the Enterprise we are talking about, it will more probably be a hybrid explorer/battleship IMO.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Meste17 wrote:Which is why I put battleship here anyway. Some ships are purely battleships at heart.
Agreed - my objection was to the separate categories of "Explorer" and "hybrid", given than an Explorer is a hybrid.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Though, as this is the Enterprise we are talking about, it will more probably be a hybrid explorer/battleship IMO.

Exactly, so try to encourage some to vote on these polls, so that I can go from there. Please?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Meste17 wrote:Which is why I put battleship here anyway. Some ships are purely battleships at heart.
Agreed - my objection was to the separate categories of "Explorer" and "hybrid", given than an Explorer is a hybrid.
My apologies. I should have paid more attention to that little detail. -_-
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Explorer because that is what the Enterprise does. Explore.

I can see for example a dedicated battleship vs. An explorer. I can see a Galaxy class gutted to be a battleship. The Enterprise can be a cruiser and does act like one most of the time.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I went with hybrid; the 2400's era has been shown in numerous alternate futures to be a time when the Klingon Empire is hostile to the Federation again, and (other than ST:O) we have no idea how the Romulans fared after the destruction of Romulus. Not to mention other threats in the larger galaxy they are beginning to really explore. The further out they go, the more truly autonomous their ships would have to be.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Hybrid. Because weather the Federation Council or the Admiralty particularly want to admit it, Starfleet fills a dual role.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."