- more than 1,500 meters
No votes

Total votes: 6
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Enterprise Look - Part I: Size

Post by Meste17 »

As we know I am trying to make a new USS Enterprise-H. Now that I have read the rules and guidelines to this site, I hope sincerely to be able to do this now.

That being the case, I devote this poll to discussing the size of the new Enterprise. I would like some opinions, though I am quite partial to 993 meters in length, but I believe in being thorough and getting second opinions. So what do you guys think?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Enterprise Look - Part I: Size

Post by McAvoy »

I am partial to smaller ships. So I voted below 1000 meters. I just feel within Trek ships do not need to be big. Warp cores take up very little space. Weapons are small and compact and they require little crew for their size. Not to mention I detest fanboy super big ships.

That being said, I do think each Enterprise should be phsyically larger than the other with the exception being the E-E which was still longer.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

How big was the Enterprise-J supposed to be? Did anyone ever figure that out?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

According to Memory Alpha, Doug Drexler who designed the (vague) model seen in Enterprise estimates about 2 miles for the E-J.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, roughly 3,300 meters? Wow.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Holy shit.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Still think it looks like a pizza cutter.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:So, roughly 3,300 meters? Wow.
To be fair, it is ~200 years between the E-D/E-EE and the E-J.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

At what point do Starships become too big? Granted bigger = better, but at somepoint a Starship must become too big for its given role, to the point where you'd be better building 2 or 3 ships of a smaller size.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:So, roughly 3,300 meters? Wow.
To be fair, it is ~200 years between the E-D/E-EE and the E-J.
Well that is a huge jump in size. We are talking about a five fold increase in length. The NX Enterprise and E-E is 2.5x give or take.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

kostmayer wrote:At what point do Starships become too big? Granted bigger = better, but at somepoint a Starship must become too big for its given role, to the point where you'd be better building 2 or 3 ships of a smaller size.
I (vaguely) remember reading somewhere (perhaps the Drex Files) that the E-J was intended to be a literal city ship (as opposed to the E-D's figurative city) and featured transporters rather than turbolifts and/or travelled cross-galaxies.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

kostmayer wrote:At what point do Starships become too big? Granted bigger = better, but at somepoint a Starship must become too big for its given role, to the point where you'd be better building 2 or 3 ships of a smaller size.
About as long as an Imperium Class Star Destroyer
Bite my shiny metal ass
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Teaos wrote:Still think it looks like a pizza cutter.

It will help when they will sell an E-J pizza cutter instead of the Connie or E-D one :p
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Why Enterprise H? what about F and G?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is what he wants I guess.