Possible counterparts?

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Possible counterparts?

Post by Meste17 »

I have seen a link of Memory Beta that describes a Klingon ship, the IKV Bardur.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/IKV_Bardur

The link indicates that the Bardur is a counterpart to the famous USS Enterprise, but if that is so, I wonder if she would be succeeded in the 24th century? Hmmm.... ;)

The information is also supported here:
http://home.comcast.net/~ststcsolda/
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Possible counterparts?

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

They'd likely reuse the name, if I recall correctly there have been at least two IKS Bortas (D5 and Vor'cha). And, with likely thousands of warships having served the Empire over time, they will likely have reused many names in different generations.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:They'd likely reuse the name, if I recall correctly there have been at least two IKS Bortas (D5 and Vor'cha). And, with likely thousands of warships having served the Empire over time, they will likely have reused many names in different generations.

So you agree with my conclusion that they'll most likely make a Vor'cha class IKS Bardur?
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Well, they have several classes to choose from aside from Vor'cha. But I'd reckon that if they had a famed ship with a certain name, that name would probably be re-utilized.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe Klingons are not sentimental about naming their ships so they do not care if they had a glorious and honorable crew and ship that brought their Empire honor. Unlikely of course but just saying.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:Maybe Klingons are not sentimental about naming their ships so they do not care if they had a glorious and honorable crew and ship that brought their Empire honor. Unlikely of course but just saying.
I'd say if the ship had a glorious and honorable crew that brought glory to the Empire through its performance for the Empire, they would be more likely to reuse a name.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'd think they name them after honoured warriors.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They probably do name then after honored warriors/Klingons.

They probably do reuse the name just if for the fact that they have limited good names to use. Just like us.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Sonic Glitch wrote:I'd say if the ship had a glorious and honorable crew that brought glory to the Empire through its performance for the Empire, they would be more likely to reuse a name.
I'd agree, I'd think they'd be more likely to reuse a name more if a ship brought glory to the Empire and was renowned.

And also name them in honour of Klingon warriors.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:I'd say if the ship had a glorious and honorable crew that brought glory to the Empire through its performance for the Empire, they would be more likely to reuse a name.
I'd agree, I'd think they'd be more likely to reuse a name more if a ship brought glory to the Empire and was renowned.

And also name them in honour of Klingon warriors.
I would bet that the Klingons believe, or choose to believe, that Names have power so if a vessel had a glorious history, and the name is reused on another vessel (say, like Enterprise CV-6 being reused for the CVN-65 and FUTURE UNBUILT SHIP) then there would be an understanding/obligation that that vessel also perform gloriously.

I can see a Klingon Commander dressing down a soldier: "This is the B'wrang, the ship that conquered a dozen worlds for the Empire! You do not deserve to serve on such a glorious vessel. Improve, or I will find you another assignment."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

I agree. The real problem is if the Romulans have a ship like the Bardur and the Enterprise. :/
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

why it's a problem for romulans to have famed and glorious ships? The ships who destroyed the Enterprise must be really famous in the Empire ^^
Maybe it was the original Scimitar long before Shinzon's one ^^
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt