Tholian Influence

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Tholian Influence

Post by Teaos »

That seems slow... sure faster than what we can do, but I'd imagin the GCS being able to hollow out the channel in days.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:That seems slow... sure faster than what we can do, but I'd imagine the GCS being able to hollow out the channel in days.
Well it's certainly possible that GCS transporters could handle rather more than 400 tons a time. The Bop was 1) Klingon tech and 2) A century behind the times (at least), after all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

But it looked, as far as I remember, difficult and impressive to do that on such a small ship of that century even in the eyes of Scotty.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well they may be able to speed it up by not materializing it, and maybe 'walk' the beam too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:Well they may be able to speed it up by not materializing it, and maybe 'walk' the beam too.
Maybe.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

GrahamKennedy wrote:And a GCS has at least twenty transporters, which can cycle, oh, say once a minute each. So it could excavate 720,000 cubic feet per day. At that rate a GCS could excavate the 31 mile long channel tunnel in under a year.
I ain't gonna lie man, that is pretty darn cool. Even considering DS9, I don't think we were ever able to get a true appreciation for the industrial might of the UFP.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:And a GCS has at least twenty transporters, which can cycle, oh, say once a minute each. So it could excavate 720,000 cubic feet per day. At that rate a GCS could excavate the 31 mile long channel tunnel in under a year.
I ain't gonna lie man, that is pretty darn cool. Even considering DS9, I don't think we were ever able to get a true appreciation for the industrial might of the UFP.
Well, all that aside, I wonder what would happen right now? ^_^ ^_^
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:
I always wondered about their weapon production during the war. Not ships, but stuff like grenades and phasers. We know that standard replicators can produce weapons, with the only limit being software blocks. And we know that a replicator was pretty much standard home equipment, much like a microwave oven today. So Earth probably has a billion plus households, the large majority of them with at least one replicator... and every replicator could spit out a hand phaser every minute or two pretty easily. Imagine that, for weeks, months, years on end. The potential for material production of small items is mind boggling.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Tholian_Avenger wrote:
I always wondered about their weapon production during the war. Not ships, but stuff like grenades and phasers. We know that standard replicators can produce weapons, with the only limit being software blocks. And we know that a replicator was pretty much standard home equipment, much like a microwave oven today. So Earth probably has a billion plus households, the large majority of them with at least one replicator... and every replicator could spit out a hand phaser every minute or two pretty easily. Imagine that, for weeks, months, years on end. The potential for material production of small items is mind boggling.

But wouldn't home replicator being blocked to replicate grenades and explosives, and military phasers?

But simply the thought of the actual Earth factories filled with replicators is alreayd mind boggling.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:But wouldn't home replicator being blocked to replicate grenades and explosives, and military phasers?
I'd imagine, but how hard can it be to download a software patch to change that?
But simply the thought of the actual Earth factories filled with replicators is alreayd mind boggling.
On the big scale there's some impressive implications too. There's an episode where the Federation is giving seven industrial replicators to Cardassia to help it rebuild. The fact that - apparently - seven of these things were enough to make a significant impact on a whole planet's industrial capacity is pretty telling, too. Imagine what an industrial replicator must be like, that a single one of them could have a significant affect on, say, the entire population of North America.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe they can replicate replicators?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:But wouldn't home replicator being blocked to replicate grenades and explosives, and military phasers?
I'd imagine, but how hard can it be to download a software patch to change that?
On the big scale there's some impressive implications too. There's an episode where the Federation is giving seven industrial replicators to Cardassia to help it rebuild. The fact that - apparently - seven of these things were enough to make a significant impact on a whole planet's industrial capacity is pretty telling, too. Imagine what an industrial replicator must be like, that a single one of them could have a significant affect on, say, the entire population of North America.
Have we ever seen industrial replicators? Anyway replicators are the most impressive Star Trek technology I think.

And for the block, a purely software one would be a problem as hackers could allow that weapons being replicate. It look more like an hardware or non writable chip would be needed to make it "safe".
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Indeed. Replicators would be an extremely dangerous device if someone could figure it out here to make certain things like weapons. Imagine someone forming their own militia and supplying them with a unlimited amount of phasers.

Perhaps they require large amounts of energy and there is a set limit of how much a device can draw from.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:Have we ever seen industrial replicators?
No, in the ep they were aboard ships but never seen.
Anyway replicators are the most impressive Star Trek technology I think.
Certainly up there. I actually love them because they're quite a sensible super technology. Much of the history of technology is about our ability to use energy to manipulate matter in one way or another. Replicators have practical limits, but the principle can manipulate matter on pretty much any scale imaginable - one could imagine a sufficiently advanced and powerful replicator that could produce a whole starship in one go, or for that matter a whole planet in one go.
And for the block, a purely software one would be a problem as hackers could allow that weapons being replicate.
On Earth, the planet where they don't even have pickpockets?
It look more like an hardware or non writable chip would be needed to make it "safe".
Even if that is so, how long would it take to make new chips and swap them out? Remembering that computer chips are themselves very small items, perfectly suited for bulk replication? It's akin to gearing up your industry for "war production", but I'd think it could be done very rapidly indeed - days, weeks, a few months at most.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ironically replicators might be the first true trek tech we get if 3D printing takes off and advances.