Independence class heavy cruiser

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Independence class heavy cruiser

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:
Teaos wrote:Cruisers cannot really "just serve" as a battleship, they are fundamentally different. Battleships have heavy armor and heavy guns and tend to be slower than most cruisers and destroyers. Cruisers are lightly armored, can have heavy or medium guns, but also can carry out secondary rolls by having such things as a helipad (or small hangerbay).

Battleships are sent places to make a military statement, explorers and light cruisers are more suited for saying "hey whats happening?"

STO has a very mesy politcal sphere, with lots of medium powers threatening the Federation but no big ones (Apart from the Borg) So in that sence you'd ideally want more medium ships than fewer large ones.

To expand on that, cruisers can be by itself with no support whereas a battleship usually has support. Cruisers though can act like mini battleships when none are around in terms of command logistics.

Star Trek uses the a combo modern/WW1 and WW2 classification system which makes no sense in Trek. Like the difference between a light cruiser and a heavy cruiser is gun size but overall they are about the same in everything else. But a light cruiser and WW1 light cruiser is very different. Usually people unknowingly refer to the light cruiser of WW1. Battle cruisers are usually interchangeable with battleships in Trek fandom.

Lastly, it seems size doesn't matter on the speed. So technically, all big ships like GCS could at least be as fast or faster than a smaller ship.

What would everyone want to see or recommend? I would like some opinions, cuz I want this ship made.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If you're talking in ST:O terms something written up to the Cheyenne or similar classes. The tier 3 cruiser.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

DarkMoineau wrote:Well that ship is smaller than a D'Deridex or STO's Odyssey Star Cruiser (look like a battleship for me but the Federation must not like that word :P ) and I love thinking about what would be able to do ships in the 25th century.
Armament : 15 x Type XV Phaser arrays, total output 198,000 TeraWatts
4 x Rapid Fire Transphasic torpedo tubes with 380 rounds
Defence Systems : High capacity shield system, total capacity 13,500,000 TeraJoules
Heavy Duranium/Tritanium Double hull plus 18 cm Ablative armour.
Standard level Structural Integrity Field
Phasers are less powerful than a Negh'var Battleship, the armour is smaller than a Defiant. Heavy shield seems logical after 71 years of developing technology.
In fact, it's even possible for a Galaxy Class successor after 71 years to be more powerful than that. You have 3,96x time the firepower of the Enterprise D which had 8 time the firepower of the first Enterprise refitted, if just looking at ships builded with 70 years between them

BUT for warp speed, a Constitution go at 857.4 times the speed of light for 4 hours at best. Enterprise D can go at 1 915.2 times the speed of light for 12 hours (2,23xConstitution speed) and Enterprise E can go at 7 900.2 times the speed of light for 36 hours(9,2x Constitution).

You consider your ship can do warp 9.99999 which make it 5 307 122.8 fasters than light. It make it 671,77 times faster than Enterprise E. I think it's the point where your ship is a little too good.

Evolution isn't linear. The big step between Enterprise D and Enterprise E show it. But Star Trek show ships that are useful for a century, with Galaxy Class ship still on the front line in the 2390's (and even 2409 if looking at the non canon Star Trek Online) . if tech evolves so much, all the old ships would be just good for decommissioning because their would be too slow and, to give you an idea, a ship as fast as these one would be able to travel to Andromeda Galaxy in just 137 days! Only 13 hours would be needed to travel across the 2370's Federation.

ps: I hope there isn't too much errors in my sentences and writing.

With that in mind, you want to give your 2 cents on what you think the ship should be like then? :D I'd REALLY appreciate that right now buddy. ^_^
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Should this new Enterprise be able to saucer separate?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

What ever you want it to do. But the E-E couldn't and the E-D rarely did
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:What ever you want it to do. But the E-E couldn't and the E-D rarely did
Good point.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always think separation is fairly pointless unless both sections have a warp drive.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I always think separation is fairly pointless unless both sections have a warp drive.
Well, that's just the thing though. I was thinking that this new Enterprise would have warp drive in the saucer, while the stardrive would house both the warp AND slipstream engines. Idk just an idea buddy. :D ^_^
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Warp drive in both is a good idea even if the one in the saucer is slow. Beats impulse power.

I always liked where the nacelles were tucked in the sides on each side of the saucer and they extend out when the ship is seperated.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Two warp drives is two cores, which while providing a back up, also adds danger since it is always the core that has issues.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

True. But core issues have been the GCS issue. Maybe Starfleet figured it all out or not.

Maybe the core is built to be activated shortly but it is normally shutdown completely inert until a program is activated for a speed cold start.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:What ever you want it to do. But the E-E couldn't and the E-D rarely did
Interestingly enough, John Eaves did design the E-E with separation in mind. It just never got used in the show. I read in an issue of Star Trek: The Magazine but the article is reproduced Here
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Meste17 wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:Well that ship is smaller than a D'Deridex or STO's Odyssey Star Cruiser (look like a battleship for me but the Federation must not like that word :P ) and I love thinking about what would be able to do ships in the 25th century.
Armament : 15 x Type XV Phaser arrays, total output 198,000 TeraWatts
4 x Rapid Fire Transphasic torpedo tubes with 380 rounds
Defence Systems : High capacity shield system, total capacity 13,500,000 TeraJoules
Heavy Duranium/Tritanium Double hull plus 18 cm Ablative armour.
Standard level Structural Integrity Field
Phasers are less powerful than a Negh'var Battleship, the armour is smaller than a Defiant. Heavy shield seems logical after 71 years of developing technology.
In fact, it's even possible for a Galaxy Class successor after 71 years to be more powerful than that. You have 3,96x time the firepower of the Enterprise D which had 8 time the firepower of the first Enterprise refitted, if just looking at ships builded with 70 years between them

BUT for warp speed, a Constitution go at 857.4 times the speed of light for 4 hours at best. Enterprise D can go at 1 915.2 times the speed of light for 12 hours (2,23xConstitution speed) and Enterprise E can go at 7 900.2 times the speed of light for 36 hours(9,2x Constitution).

You consider your ship can do warp 9.99999 which make it 5 307 122.8 fasters than light. It make it 671,77 times faster than Enterprise E. I think it's the point where your ship is a little too good.

Evolution isn't linear. The big step between Enterprise D and Enterprise E show it. But Star Trek show ships that are useful for a century, with Galaxy Class ship still on the front line in the 2390's (and even 2409 if looking at the non canon Star Trek Online) . if tech evolves so much, all the old ships would be just good for decommissioning because their would be too slow and, to give you an idea, a ship as fast as these one would be able to travel to Andromeda Galaxy in just 137 days! Only 13 hours would be needed to travel across the 2370's Federation.

ps: I hope there isn't too much errors in my sentences and writing.

With that in mind, you want to give your 2 cents on what you think the ship should be like then? :D I'd REALLY appreciate that right now buddy. ^_^
You want to do an cruiser like the Galaxy, so just take Enterprise D (or Galaxy mark II) and put the same mofidier than there is between Constitution and Galaxy OR be a more liberal to fit your idea but use it as a guiding linge to work around. Your cruiser should be more powerful than anything the Federation or the Klingon have put in a ship of that size and class during TNG era as there is more than 50 years of evolution, that's right. But stay inferior to a Borg or 8472 ship.

PS: keep in mind you need a backstory :)
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

So tell me what you have in mind then. I am listening. ;)
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

well, It's your ship, not mine, I can't choose for you, just giving advices ^^
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt