Redo TNG in 2013

The Next Generation
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Redo TNG in 2013

Post by McAvoy »

Let's assume that TNG was done in 2013 and let's ignore any reason why it would be done in 2013. In addition the actors are the same and same age as they were in 1987.

TNG 2013 will last seven years like before. You can take away characters or add to them if you feel like you need to.

So basically you are doing TNG but with 2013 SFX and 2013 audience.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Redo TNG in 2013

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, I am imagining that... now what? :)

A lot would depend on who was behind the show. If the modern TNG had a modern Roddenberry who wanted a similar conception of the future, then a lot of it would probably be similar. But assuming that there wasn't...

I think the first and most obvious change would that that there would be no Counselor Troi. Therapy was really big in the 80s in America... or in Hollywood, anyway... and it probably seemed like a very cool and trendy thing to suggest that in the future our mental health would be closely monitored. And I think it's actually quite plausible that a society could work that way. Perhaps even a better way to be. I know many people like to comment on how our tough military would never have such a thing today. Only one, many military forces already have all sorts of counseling and therapy programs, and two, it's because they need it. Have you checked out the suicide rates in the military lately?

But then "plausible" and "good idea" doesn't translate to good TV. Even now Troi's role looks incredibly silly and dated, and that's only going to get worse. Ditch her.

I think you'd also lose a lot of the "optimism". The idea that the main characters would never have real conflict amongst themselves is something that's also very Gene, as is the concept that they operate without money in this utopian paradise. Today shows all want to be as gritty as possible, because it's all cool and edgy. Although interestingly I think you could make the case that as far as sci fi goes, at least some of that trend is a reaction against the blandness of TNG characters. If TNG hadn't done what it did then, I wonder if Battlestar Galactica would have been quite so relentlessly depressing later on?

Another thing is that I think they would probably have a styling that's a lot more like... well like the Enterprise in the JJ Abrams film. The iShip styling. Either that, or do the incredibly cliche and go for the "worn industrial" look that's been done to death.

On the technical side it would obviously use a lot more CGI, few if any physical models. Probably get to see a bit more in the way of non human aliens played by CGI characters, though even now that must be pretty hard and expensive.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

For sake of argument Gene dies as normal and you are in charge.

The point is how different 1987 and 2013 TNG would be.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

More war, more ships, more pathetic half arsed romance/nudity.

It would be a lot more vapid. I imagin they would make some refence to the Iraq/Afgan war in the same way TOS referenced the cold war with the Romulans/Klingons.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree there would be romance and more ships and explosions.

I'd imagine a sort of large story arc of some kind perhaps leading up to a war or the prevention of a war. Maybe the UFP trying desperately to cling to its Utopian ways where in the end they alter themselves into a more realistic Utopia.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would expect more long term episode arcs as well as that has got a lot more standard now.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There would be, without a doubt, currency.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:There would be, without a doubt, currency.
Credits will do fine.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:There would be, without a doubt, currency.
Credits will do fine.
I always just wanted him to ignite his lightsaber, say they WILL do fine, pay a good price for them, with the young boy, his mother and droid thrown in for free. They then get the part, hightail it back to the ship, put it in and get the hell outta Dodge. ;)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Worf would never have the Doris Day haircut.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Oh, security would be effective, too.
Don-Okay
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Don-Okay »

Marines.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I would remodel the whole interior of the E-D to have a military but yet comfy feel about it. Not a hotel. I wonder if anyone tried to photoshop the E-D bridge into a more military look.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Galaxy would never strike me as military, considering its missions its more Ambassadorial.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well this is 2013 TNG.