Redo TNG in 2013

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Redo TNG in 2013

Post by Teaos »

Even so it would massivly change the function of the ship, it is a deep sace vessel expected to do first contact. You need a certain level of class.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I wonder if anyone tried to photoshop the E-D bridge into a more military look.
You don't need photoshop - just YE.
Teaos wrote:The Galaxy would never strike me as military, considering its missions its more Ambassadorial.
The Last Outpost, The Neutral Zone, Contagion, Peak Performance, The Enemy, The Defector, Best of Both Worlds, Suddenly Human, Redemption II, Chain of Command, Descent, Gambit, Preemptive Strike, All Good Things.

All episodes in which the E-D's mission was overtly military.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Even so it would massivly change the function of the ship, it is a deep sace vessel expected to do first contact. You need a certain level of class.
Oh you can make a 'classy' military ship.

The point is that I doubt in 2013 a series that kind of set design would hold up.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

I don't know if this is what McAvoy was trying to say but I think you could put some nice quarters and rooms inside a military vessel.

Honestly, TNG is kind of nice because you don't have the hardcore, cut-throat, military fapping like you do on more modern works of fiction.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:I don't know if this is what McAvoy was trying to say but I think you could put some nice quarters and rooms inside a military vessel.

Honestly, TNG is kind of nice because you don't have the hardcore, cut-throat, military fapping like you do on more modern works of fiction.
Perhaps.... not military fapping.

Oh and Yesterday's Enterprise looked cool, but the lighting was too dark. There is absolutely no reason for a ship in space to be dark. We are not talking about the ocean or in the skies where ships or planes will be seen for miles because of a small light.

I am thinking a color scheme more in the gun metal, plain metal, and no wooden overlays. I'd imagine that horseshoe could be redesigned so that three people could stand behind there.

EDIT: Actually a good look would be Generations. Still dark, but the feel makes it feel more militeristic.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, and an armored warp core.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well in 2013 that can be fixed with better writing.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Generations was a bit dark if I remember rightly though. Characters would walk out of a room into a pitch black corridor.

This was one of the reasons I always preferred the Nebula class. If you want to militarize one of those you just stick a ruddy big weapons pod on it.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

kostmayer wrote:Generations was a bit dark if I remember rightly though. Characters would walk out of a room into a pitch black corridor.

This was one of the reasons I always preferred the Nebula class. If you want to militarize one of those you just stick a ruddy big weapons pod on it.
I agree. But the feel of Generations with the added stuff on the bridge and even a crowded Ten Forward gave it a military (busy) appeal.