A Matter of Time - Time Pod

The Next Generation
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

A Matter of Time - Time Pod

Post by Tsukiyumi »

So, I watched this one again the other day; Matt Frewer travels through time in a 26th century time pod, but in the end he's a con-man/failed inventor from the 22nd century who killed the original time-traveling scientist and stole his pod.

At the end of the episode, the E-D crew see through his ruse after he attempts to steal a bunch of gear; he's caught, and the time pod leaves without him, as it's on an automatic schedule. He goes to Federation jail, the end.

...Wait. Where did the time pod go? He obviously intended to return to the 22nd century to get rich off of the stuff he stole, so wouldn't the pod return to his lab in the 22nd century? Somehow, no one found it in the 200 year interim? Is it still there, collecting dust on Earth in the 24th century? Or are we to assume that without a pilot, it would return to it's home century?

Giant loose thread, if you ask me.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: A Matter of Time - Time Pod

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Where did the time pod go? He obviously intended to return to the 22nd century to get rich off of the stuff he stole, so wouldn't the pod return to his lab in the 22nd century?
Yep:
RASMUSSEN
(continuing)
If the auto-timer is programmed
the way I think it is...
(MORE)

STAR TREK: "A Matter of Time" - REV. 9/25/91 - ACT FIVE 56.

66 CONTINUED: (2)

RASMUSSEN (cont'd)
in about two minutes we'll be on
our way back to a place called
New Jersey... I'm afraid you
won't be awake for the ride.
Somehow, no one found it in the 200 year interim?
Looks like.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

You could stumble upon a timepod tomorrow and have no idea what it was, I cant remember this episode but I doubt it was labled "Time pod"
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

No, but it was obviously a ship of some sort. An unscannable one at that. You'd think somebody might take notice of that sort of thing.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:No, but it was obviously a ship of some sort. An unscannable one at that. You'd think somebody might take notice of that sort of thing.
No, it's simply a random silvery box. When it was found it was probably prodded for a bit, then thrown into a warehouse with the alien skulls and arks of the covenant and forgotten about.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:No, but it was obviously a ship of some sort. An unscannable one at that. You'd think somebody might take notice of that sort of thing.
No, it's simply a random silvery box. When it was found it was probably prodded for a bit, then thrown into a warehouse with the alien skulls and arks of the covenant and forgotten about.
And then found about 200 years later by some dude who works out how to use it, becomes a Time Traveller, then ultimately runs into some con artist in the 20th Century.

Always loved this episode Data's bad ass line - "I assume your handprint will open this door whether you are conscious or not"
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Assuming it didn't get buried in rubble, or that Rasmussen actually programmed it right. I think 'winging it' would almost be giving him too much credit.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, what if he messed up his coordinates and it appeared a few hundred feet below the surface? It might easily never be detected.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Gives new meaning to the phrase 'rocks fall, everyone dies'. ;)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Keep in mind it went to New Jersey.... if it appeared in Camden, Newark or Trenton it would have been stripped and then used as a homeless shelter....

Seriously, it could have been found by the 22nd century folks and just covered up. Or the original owner(s) found it.

Anyway I never really thought about that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah. there's about a thousand ways for the damned thing to be overlooked.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Found by a 20th Century TV Show producer who thought - "Hey, that would make a cool prop"
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Or Temporal Enforcement got off their asses and did something useful, intercepting the pod in the 22nd century and taking it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Probably the most likely in story answer.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.