Age of Klingon Empire?

The Next Generation
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Age of Klingon Empire?

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Or even the Coalition-Romulan War if the Vulcans, Andorians, or Tellarites were even close to equal to Earth's role. From what I remember of the little of Enterprise I saw, all the other powers were portrayed as well ahead of Earth in terms of developing warp drive.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:It would be called the Romulan/Vulcan war if they had helped us that much.
Why? We don't know the nature of the support - the Vulcans might simply have supplied all the kit while Earth did the fighting. The Arab-Israeli Wars still get that name, despite the degree of US support the Israelis got. It might simply have started off as a purely Earth-Romulan affair, then everyone else got involved later and the first name stuck.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'm not so much concerned about the technology used in the war so much as the massive disparity in industry and infrastructure there must have been between a upstart and a centuries old empire.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:I'm not so much concerned about the technology used in the war so much as the massive disparity in industry and infrastructure there must have been between a upstart and a centuries old empire.
Then we go back to the Arab-Israeli War comparison. During the Yom Kippur War the Israelis had completely exhausted their pre-war supply dumps by the mid-point of the war, before Sharon's counter attack across the canal. The only reason they were able to keep fighting was because the US started flying in all the ammunition and other supplies they needed. I can easily see the other three founder members doing the same for Earth.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But here we are looking at a vastly different scale.

This isnt Israel/Arab this is the equivalent of Russia/Georgia. No amount of aid is going to keep them from being steam rolled.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:But here we are looking at a vastly different scale.
We don't know what the scale was - we don't know enough about the causes, conduct or conclusion of the war to be able to draw any firm conclusions.
This isnt Israel/Arab this is the equivalent of Russia/Georgia. No amount of aid is going to keep them from being steam rolled.
Not really. Earth was the new kid on the block, but they'd had a century to be brought up to speed, were aggressively expansionist as Enterprise demonstrated, and had a lot of tough friends.

In the end, however much we go back and forth about how the Romulan War was won, the fact remains that it was. Whether that was due to Earth doing the fighting with material support from her allies, or all the future founding members of the UFP getting stuck into the Romulans and Earth getting the credit, the war was won.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

It seems that the normal progression of tech is in the "slow grind" area rather than "leaps of faith". Red Flight Leader, 'Stay on topic, Stay on topic!' When did the Hurq(?) raid the Klingons? Since they stole Khaless' Batleth that seems to be close to the founding of their planetary empire. Seems to me that DS9 had enough Klingon interaction that something was said about how long ago Khaless unified the Klingons.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

multi post
Last edited by Vic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Multi post, durn slow computer!
Last edited by Vic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think you guys are missing Seafort's point. When he speaks of the support Earth received from Andoria, Tellar, Vulcan, et. al.; it doesn't have to mean actual allied contribution to the war effort, or even materiel and other material. The fact of those other peoples having just previously given Earth technological assistance and intel is enough to discount the idea of Earth having achieved a certain level "on its own."

Further, we should also remember that the Romulan Star Empire and the Klingon Empire are, well... empires. Totalitarian governments tend to support the status quo and a certain intentional lack of progression.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think you guys are missing Seafort's point. When he speaks of the support Earth received from Andoria, Tellar, Vulcan, et. al.; it doesn't have to mean actual allied contribution to the war effort, or even materiel and other material. The fact of those other peoples having just previously given Earth technological assistance and intel is enough to discount the idea of Earth having achieved a certain level "on its own."

Further, we should also remember that the Romulan Star Empire and the Klingon Empire are, well... empires. Totalitarian governments tend to support the status quo and a certain intentional lack of progression.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wow... two sets of tripple posts in a row... by different people. I think thats a record.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Totalitarian governments tend to support the status quo and a certain intentional lack of progression.
Not all empires are totalitarian. And some are responsible for triggering the greatest leaps in technological progress in history.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Earth had to develop Warp Drive on its own before the Vulcans would at least contact it, and the Warp 5 engine was developed by Archer's father...
Archer's many gripes about the Vulcans was how they kept their help to a minimum, holding back scientific knowledge so that the humans would not stray too far from home, leaving Humans to progress on their own...
So Earth did indeed "achieve a certain level of technology" on their own, in a very short time, before the Federation was created...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)