SFDebris: Chain of Command

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Chain of Command

Post by Captain Seafort »

Part 1 of 3

Good start from Chuck, and I get the impression that he likes Jellico. I take issue, however, with his assertion that Riker could have reasonably expected to take command of the E-D, and that he did as he was told regarding the change of shift pattern. In the former case, the episode is set about a month and a half after he lost the ship to a bunch of Ferengi, which would naturally cast doubt on his ability to take on a Cardassian battle group, and in the latter he left the shifts as they were, without informing Jellico, while continuing to argue the toss. It's hardly surprising that both Necheyev and Jellico stomped on him.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SFDebris: Chain of Command

Post by Teaos »

I also think the E-D is a special ship and not something to be given to someone fresh to the Captains chair.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I always liked Jellico. Well, perhaps liked is the wrong word, but I don't think he deserved the disdain he got from Riker.

Jellico might have done things differently to how Riker wanted, but he was bought in specifically because of his experience in handling the Cardassians, which served him well. Heartless as it may sound, his decision not to acknowledge the covert mission into Cardassian territory was the correct one. Jellico not only averted war and a huge embarassment for the Federation, but he still managed to secure Picards release.

Has to be one of my fave episodes though. Patrick Stewart and David Warners scenes were compelling. And just when you think the episode has gone the usual route of having the hero hold out under questioning, Picard admits to Troi that he was infact on the verge of breaking.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Whether Riker did deserve the command or not, I think it's probably fair to say that he felt that he deserved it. It's very easy and very human to kid yourself into thinking that you deserve the things you badly want.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Whether Riker did deserve the command or not, I think it's probably fair to say that he felt that he deserved it. It's very easy and very human to kid yourself into thinking that you deserve the things you badly want.
Sure - my objection was to the way Chuck phrased his description of the situation, by implying that Riker not only felt he deserved the command, but was justified in in belief.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, he is depicted as something of a "star officer" in Starfleets eyes, too. The man who beat the Borg and all that - Shelby stated that he'd basically have his pick of any job he wanted after that, and Chain of Command was only a couple of years later.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Personally, I don't have an issue with Riker feeling like he should have been given the E-D... my issue was with the bad attitude he displayed to the man who was given the E-D; which man commensurately was Riker's CO, no matter how Riker felt about the decision.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Part 2 up

Definitely weaker than part 1 I think, but that might simply be the issue that middle parts of trilogies often have.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Oh, something to watch tonight. I'm coming to find I care a lot more about new episodes of things like this coming up more than almost anything on TV save something like Walking Dead.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Part 3 up

I'm happy to report that the slight jitters were indeed down to it being the middle part of a trilogy. There are a few bits of interpretation that I disagree with - mainly regarding Riker. I think the difference is mainly one of Riker focusing on the individual (and his friend) rather than the mission as Jellico is, rather than simply being childish, and I still disagree with the notion that Riker could have reasonably expected to be given the centre seat, but overall I think this is one of Chuck's best reviews. Not quite up to TWoK standards, but very good nonetheless.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well it's partly source material. Things like this and TWoK give you plenty of serious things to dig into and disect. Something like your average Voyager episode just exists to be mocked. Chuck's got some serious talent for indepth reviewing of things and a good comedic bent. It make me wonder if he could do this in a more professional capacity beyond just web show.