Soong Class Positronic Android

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Soong Class Positronic Android

Post by Graham Kennedy »

People have traditionally proven to be quite adept at offing one another without them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I am somewhat... split on the issues of AI in the Federation. On the one hand I see TOS and the multiple times we see robots and computers going batshit insane.

But Graham's right in that we can't use those instances to do a mass co0ndemnation of Soong-type androids, or holograms.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

it's become a bit of a bugbear with me over the years. AI is often used in science fiction for the Frankenstein principle, the idea that there are things we are not meant to know, not capable of handling, and if we meddle in those things they will turn around and bite us on the ass. I think that's a poor principle, and I don't think it really fits well into the Trek ethos that exploring and learning new things is inherently good.

More recently some sci fi has explored the idea that AI would really just be another kind of living thing, no more likely to turn out inherently evil than people or cows are. Andromeda started with that premise, though it kinda backtracked on it a little. I find that treating AI as something that will have benefits and drawbacks just like anything else is a more mature and interesting attitude to explore.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, yeah. I mean I love Transformers and 'Measure of a Man' is one of my favorite Trek episodes. AI can be good. It can be bad. Can't forget either one, there.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:But Graham's right in that we can't use those instances to do a mass co0ndemnation of Soong-type androids, or holograms.
GrahamKennedy wrote:it's become a bit of a bugbear with me over the years. AI is often used in science fiction for the Frankenstein principle, the idea that there are things we are not meant to know, not capable of handling, and if we meddle in those things they will turn around and bite us on the ass. I think that's a poor principle, and I don't think it really fits well into the Trek ethos that exploring and learning new things is inherently good.

More recently some sci fi has explored the idea that AI would really just be another kind of living thing, no more likely to turn out inherently evil than people or cows are. Andromeda started with that premise, though it kinda backtracked on it a little. I find that treating AI as something that will have benefits and drawbacks just like anything else is a more mature and interesting attitude to explore.
I agree in both cases but UFP did it with the augments, almost 400 years after eugenic wars/WWIII genetic engineering (in sentients) is still banned. How is not the same?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Not too right there, either.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The difference is that eugenics is an attempt to artificially manipulate the natural selection of a species, and has (in the 'Trek universe) led to war and genocide. The other is just an attempt to further a species that just happens to be smarter, faster, and stronger than us.

As far as AI in sci-fi... I like Gibson's treatment of it in Neuromancer. One was evil, one was misunderstood but ended up doing right according to its own moral compass; but both were presented to be outre, not so easily judged by human standards as we would like. Banks has done a nice job as well, with Minds being so far ahead of us (and with rare exceptions, so centered in their own morality) as to look on humanity with a benign paternal amusement and tolerance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

It's not a versus, so I think it's acceptable... but one wonders what Data, Threepio, Artoo and Optimus Prime would talk about.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:It's not a versus, so I think it's acceptable... but one wonders what Data, Threepio, Artoo and Optimus Prime would talk about.
Probably, how annoying us meatbags are.
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:The difference is that eugenics is an attempt to artificially manipulate the natural selection of a species, and has (in the 'Trek universe) led to war and genocide. The other is just an attempt to further a species that just happens to be smarter, faster, and stronger than us.
True but that is not the point. They don´t like the genetically improved because they are "superior" and they may became evil, in that sense they are the same as the soong androids.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No, they don't like the eugenic "supermen" because those men started a war which devastated populations. AFAIK, Data hasn't.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:It's not a versus, so I think it's acceptable... but one wonders what Data, Threepio, Artoo and Optimus Prime would talk about.
Probably, how annoying us meatbags are.
Nah - that's HK-47 you're thinking of. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Nah - that's HK-47 you're thinking of.
It was just a matter of a footrace to see if you or Deep got to that one first. ;)
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Seafort by a nose, then. ;)
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:No, they don't like the eugenic "supermen" because those men started a war which devastated populations. AFAIK, Data hasn't.
Only the augment did it. Bashir's friends didn't and yet they are in prisson without having committed any crime just because of what they are. The point is UFP banned any kind of genetic improvements in people because they are potentially dangerous as Lore (and even Data) has demostrated he is.