Person of the week: Riker

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think that was one of the reasons he said once.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sounds like a cover story to hide lack of confidence in his ability to command a ship, IMO. What about that whole bit with Thomas Riker, when Will explained that he was willing (no pun intended) to sacrifice even his relationship with Troi to further his career? That seems to have been forgotten when he became comfortable with the idea of playing second fiddle on the Enterprise.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But he did take command several times and did just fine with it.

Maybe he thought he had a chance of one day getting the Enterprise if he stayed their? Or he was just really comfortable and thought he would wait a few years to move on.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

He definitely did just fine. However, being able to do something, objectively, and having subjective self-confidence in your ability to do it can be two vastly different things. But I agree - I think he became confortable in his position on the Enterprise, and allowed that to supplant his ambition.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I know I would do what Riker did.

But would you honestly give up the position of second in command of the Flag ship of the Federation with one of the best captains in the fleet and a crew you really get along with for the command of some lesser vessel?

Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Teaos wrote:I know I would do what Riker did.

But would you honestly give up the position of second in command of the Flag ship of the Federation with one of the best captains in the fleet and a crew you really get along with for the command of some lesser vessel?
To quote Milton's Satan, and Khan Noonian Singh, Tis better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven.
However, I see where you are coming from. If you are happy with your position, in a ship that gets the most interesting missions with a first rate crew, many of them been your friends, it would be hard to leave for the command of a more routine vessel.
It is a difficult job for the script writers. How do you have an ambitious, competent character who doesn't get promoted and therefore leave the series?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Out of universe, it was obviously necessary for Riker to change his tune in order to stay on the show.

In universe... like I said, it depends on what you want. I personally would definitely have left to pursue my own command, because that's how I roll. The problem I had with Riker was not in his decision itself, but that we never saw a specific analysis of when and how he changed his motivation from his ambition to further his career into his desire to remain in his comfortable position.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I know that I would have taken my own command, but did you see some of the female crewmembers? How many guys would stay on for that? And I'm pretty sure he had a thing for Troi and used the 'flagship excuse' to stay close to her.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Person of the week: Riker

Post by kostmayer »

Teaos wrote:Him being duplicates is also interesting. I wonder what he feels about his doppelganger. Does he consider him a twin a member of his family or just someone who happens to look like him. It's a real shame they didn't explore this further.
Lets just hope he doesn't phaser him in his sleep like he did his last duplicate. To be fair, none of the characters seem to like being copied. Picard shot his future self, and later stabbed his own clone with a big metal pole, and Data had an unfortunate habit of dissasembling and/or beaming his duplicates into Outer Space.

On a more serious note, I always liked Rikers willingness to disagree openly with his superiors. He argued with Picard on more then one occasion, and wasn't above showing his contempt for the odd admiral. I wonder is his experiences on the Pegasus had anything to do with it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Huh I just noticed Mikey passed me in post count.

It is far better to be second on the flag ship then in some lesser posting.

Its like a modern day sailor passing up second in command of one of Americas aircraft carriers to captain a destroyer. Lot less presitge and power.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

He was pretty well-rounded. A jazz musician, a poker player, a great pilot...

And apparently the descendant of one of the greatest strategists in human history. ;) :p

I hope someone gets that...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Teaos wrote:Huh I just noticed Mikey passed me in post count.

It is far better to be second on the flag ship then in some lesser posting.

Its like a modern day sailor passing up second in command of one of Americas aircraft carriers to captain a destroyer. Lot less presitge and power.
But sometimes it is better to have all of the fun, but none of the responsibility.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Huh I just noticed Mikey passed me in post count.
:shock:
When the hell did that happen? I guess you've lost your place as the second spamiest member, Teaos. :P
*hands Mikey the Crown of Spam*
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yes but we still all bow to you Rochey as the king of the meaningless posts. :roll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes but we still all bow to you Rochey as the king of the meaningless posts.
Yup, at a wild guess, I think its safe to say I'm in no threat of being overtaken in postcount. :wink:

We now return to your previously scheduled thread...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"