TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: TNG-R Next Generation Remastered

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nutso wrote:
Teaos wrote:Im also one of the few who enjoy the revamped original star wars since it didnt change the movie at all but made it more easily watchable (for me).
Including the big change in Return of The Jedi?
RotJ was bad. ANH was worse - replacing Shaw with Christiansen didn't have any fundamental effect on the character arc.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Nutso wrote:
Teaos wrote:Im also one of the few who enjoy the revamped original star wars since it didnt change the movie at all but made it more easily watchable (for me).
Including the big change in Return of The Jedi?
RotJ was bad. ANH was worse - replacing Shaw with Christiansen didn't have any fundamental effect on the character arc.
What happened in ANH?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

:shock:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote::shock:
I mean, I know the whole "Han shot first" thing, but did something more drastic happen for the blu-rays? I assumed when Nutso mentioned
Nutso wrote:...the big change in Return of The Jedi?
he was referring to this
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:I mean, I know the whole "Han shot first" thing
That's what I'm talking about.
I assumed when Nutso mentioned
he was referring to this
No, I think he's talking about this
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

With "Han shot first" I wouldn't mind as much if it looked real. But the whole fail editing look annoys me to no end.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I hate both the 'no' and replacing Shaw with Hayden. The latter bugs me less, but still bugs me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I generally hate most changes that are made simply for the sake of change, but I didn't mind replacing Shaw with Christiansen. At least there was an obvious reason for so doing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Certain chnages I can understand at least in the context of 1997 when the Special Edition was released, but not the small changes he has done since then. All I would do, is perhaps fix the lightsabers if and when possible, and put the whole Han Shot first thing back to the original scene.

As far as TNG is concerned, I doubt TNGR will get even a remotely close treatment as TOS-R did. Even then I wasn't that particularly impressed since many of the CGI models look like video game models or worse.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:I mean, I know the whole "Han shot first" thing
That's what I'm talking about.
I assumed when Nutso mentioned
he was referring to this
No, I think he's talking about this
I really hate that one. Why to use the young anakin? for that to make sense they should have used young obi wan too and that would have been worse.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SomosFuga wrote:I really hate that one. Why to use the young anakin? for that to make sense they should have used young obi wan too and that would have been worse.
Not true. They couldn't have logically used the young Obi-Wan, since Obi-Wan lived to old age. In other words, they kept the Guinness version because the Guinness version was how Obi-Wan looked when he died. To keep the same theme, they logically should have used the pasty, tore-up version of Vader/Anakin from the end of RotJ... but since there was never an Anakin who looked like Shaw, using Christiansen made a little more sense.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:I really hate that one. Why to use the young anakin? for that to make sense they should have used young obi wan too and that would have been worse.
Not true. They couldn't have logically used the young Obi-Wan, since Obi-Wan lived to old age. In other words, they kept the Guinness version because the Guinness version was how Obi-Wan looked when he died. To keep the same theme, they logically should have used the pasty, tore-up version of Vader/Anakin from the end of RotJ... but since there was never an Anakin who looked like Shaw, using Christiansen made a little more sense.
They had Shaw, they should have stay with him.

Anyway, they were ghosts (sort of) so they are probably able to appear in any fashion they want, young, old, whatever.
We could also say it depends on the observer not the ghost but IIRC there are cases when someone has seen a ghost he never met when the guy was alive.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I was referring to "NO! Nooooooooooo! That moment was a pleasing moment for me, where we see Vader is going through this internal turmoil, between the son he doesn't know and the only friend he's had in 20 years, and then makes his choice. I hate this "enhanced" scene because it sounded so fucking stupid. Taking the goofiest moment from Episode 3 and putting it into ROTJ ruins the seriousness of the moment. I have to sit through this movie with a bunch of assholes farting around in a forest with a bunch of people-eating teddy bears, and now my favorite moment in ROTJ exists to rape my eyes and ears?! Just scrap the whole scene and have Vader plus Luke have a heavily choreographed lightsaber duel with Palpatine and have all three of them flipping and bouncing off walls. Fuck, just have Luke convince Vader to get rid of his evil red lightsaber and toss him a blue lightsaber. Vader with a blue lightsaber! A whole new toy for the kids to force their parents to buy!

Replacing Shaw was bad, but it affects nothing but my memories. Hayden Christensen looks out of place and smiles awkwardly in the scene, compared to the grace that Shaw displayed. But by that point the movie is over, and Christensen doesn't say anything. Limited goofiness.

Greedo shoot first just ruins a simple story in ANH. Han isn't a rogue, he's a cowboy. He's not a good guy. But he's damned useful in a tough situation. Greedo is talking when he should be shooting. Han is talking to set Greedo up. Just like Tuco said in The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly, "When you have to shoot...Shoot! Don't talk." Instead Han is just lucky, rather than cunning, that Greedo can't shoot straight from two feet away. Even worse, the "enhanced" scene just looks goofy the way Han slides away and down. How about Lucas just cut the whole damn scene out and CGI Han and Greedo having a reasonable debate and then skipping away and holding hands because it's a good lesson to teach the kids.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I suppose the best explanation is that the ghost reflects the spirit's self image. Obi Wan lived to look like Guinness and that's how he thought of himself so that's how his ghost appeared. Whilst Annakin looked all pasty and scabby and old at the time of his death, presumably that's an unpleasant image that he doesn't like or think of as how he "truly" looks - his mental image of himself is of the way he was when he was last healthy, before the whole volcano thing. So he appears as he was when he was young.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I feel it's disrespectful to Shaw to replace him, and again unnecessary. And it was a bad replacement to boot. What, they couldn't get Hayden to look in the right direction for five seconds?! :bangwall: :madashell: