Ship of the week: Ambassador

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I just watched a clip of the crash on Youtube... there should be no way people survived that. The intertnal dampeners must have done a lot of work.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, they had the active "passenger polarized restraint field," but as an active safety system aboard a GCS it went offline at a completely random interval.
Another ative system? :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Actually, Rochey, I just made that up. But the sad fact is, it was an entirely believable piece of GCS tech.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
The fact that I immediately accepted that straight off says a lot about Starfleet's safety record.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I am very proud of that one. An interesting fact about the "passenger polarized restraint field" is that even though the generator is located under the bar in Ten Forward, bumping it will cause the warp core to explode. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Now you're thinking like a Starfleet engineer. :wink:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Couldn't they just line the walls with Velcro - I'm sure those jump suits would stick fast to them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

But that would chafe after awhile. :?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Well, they could pull out the designs for TOS movie bridge chairs, but then you might run a higher likelihood of severe upper-thigh damage. Or other damage, if those things curl around the thigh too far. :shock:
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

I know I might be off topic (or on-topic, depending on how you look at it), but regarding the fact that we never see ambassador class ships in the UFP's fleet... could it just be because the effects guys blew up the real E-C model, thinking it was a one-off ship? Or did we see more ambassadors later, just not very often?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We've seen Ambassadors, just not very often - the Nebula seems to be used in situations where you'd expect the Ambassador to show up. The main appearences, apart from YE, have been "Redemption Part 2" and DS9's "Emissary".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Interestingly, the Ambassadors we've since subsequent to YE do have variations in the nacelle placement, et. al. Fanon, DITL, etc., attribute it to a refit; the RL explanation is probably due to something like Hal's theory.
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:I think it looks like it was deisgned in a coffie brake by someone who doesnt give a ****.

But as far as balance goes... The name and era lead you to believe is it diplomatic heavy but the fight it put up in yesterdays enterprise is impressive to say the least.
If you tell a guy he has to create a ship that is supposed to be a direct link between the Excelsior and the Galaxy you really don't give him a lot to work with. Instead of blasting it for being ugly I think we should be thankful that they didn't create some super sophisticated looking ship which put it jarringly out of touch with being a stepping stone between the Excelsior and the Galaxy. Good thing the Enterprise creators didn't get to create the Enterprise-C... it would have looked like the Sovereign or something. I think it looked exactly as it "should' have looked for its time and for where it was supposed to fall along the starship evolution chain.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You echo my sentiments, Dusk. The E-C, while perhaps ugly in an absolute aesthetic sense, was "right" in all the areas that the NX was not. It actually fit where it should have in the design lineage from Excelsior to Galaxy.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

In a way, its beutiful in its uglyness.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.