Replace Troi with Guinan

The Next Generation
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Replace Troi with Guinan

Post by McAvoy »

Popped in my head a minute ago.

Troi was good for two things: saying the obvious and wearing catsuits.

Replace Troi with Guinan and you got a better shrink. Guinan's spider sense would come in handy too.

Though I'd probably claw my eyes out to see Whoopie in a catsuit...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Replace Troi with Guinan

Post by Deepcrush »

Since Guinan was several hundred years old and carried enough experience that even Q generally left her alone. If you wanted someone to look good without having to cause any problems aboard then put Guinan as the Captain's advisor and stick Troi down in the social services office where she belongs.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Troi didn't need to be replaced, she just needed to be kept off the bridge.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

True. I always figured though she was up there because of her empath abilities. I doubt if they had a non-telepath shrink on every bridge in Starfleet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

What exactly does Troi do all the time when the ships not being attacked by aliens?

At least Picard can retire to his ready room to relax, or do his administrative work when he's not needed on the Bridge. Troi appears to be the only shrink on board - if she's on duty say 50 hours a week? That's not much time to divide amongst 1000 people. Wouldn't her time be better spent on counselling people, crew evaluations, researching alien cultures they were likely to encounter?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

kostmayer wrote:What exactly does Troi do all the time when the ships not being attacked by aliens?

At least Picard can retire to his ready room to relax, or do his administrative work when he's not needed on the Bridge. Troi appears to be the only shrink on board - if she's on duty say 50 hours a week? That's not much time to divide amongst 1000 people. Wouldn't her time be better spent on counselling people, crew evaluations, researching alien cultures they were likely to encounter?
That would require thinking which is sadly lacking in TNG.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:Though I'd probably claw my eyes out to see Whoopie in a catsuit...
F*ck you, dude.

I agree with the rest of your statement.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:?
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I meant I wouldn't have even thought of that if he hadn't said it.

Now I have to find some brain bleach.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Troi appears to be the only shrink on board - if she's on duty say 50 hours a week? That's not much time to divide amongst 1000 people. Wouldn't her time be better spent on counselling people, crew evaluations, researching alien cultures they were likely to encounter?
Not on your life. Have you seen her performance in The Loss? Without her ability to look inside people's heads she's utterly incompetent, suggesting an appalling lack of training, ability or both. She's best left on the bridge where she can do least damage.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I did like her method of dealing with Reg Barclay's issues. Just let him keep going and hope he gets better.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Troi appears to be the only shrink on board - if she's on duty say 50 hours a week? That's not much time to divide amongst 1000 people. Wouldn't her time be better spent on counselling people, crew evaluations, researching alien cultures they were likely to encounter?
Not on your life. Have you seen her performance in The Loss? Without her ability to look inside people's heads she's utterly incompetent, suggesting an appalling lack of training, ability or both. She's best left on the bridge where she can do least damage.
Ech. the only talent she displayed on the bridge was exposing her cleavage, and there are better cleavages for that.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Ech. the only talent she displayed on the bridge was exposing her cleavage, and there are better cleavages for that.
Note my use of the term "least damage" rather than "most good". :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I never really understood what she brought to the show. I mean why is she even there. You could remove her from probably about 90% of the episodes and never even realize she's gone.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tits.