SFDebris: Where Silence Has Lease

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Where Silence Has Lease

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Not bad, although I'm a bit surprised the very similar "void" in The Immunity Syndrome didn't get a mention.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SFDebris: Where Silence Has Lease

Post by Mikey »

I didn't make that connection at all - I didn't consider the two situations similar.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Me neither.

Anyway I never minded the episode.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The root causes were very different, but the fundamental phenomena of voids in space that couldn't be scanned were identical, and therefore should at least have been considered - they had a track record of commenting on TOS episodes in The Naked Now, when they acknowledged the E-nil's encounter with Psi-2000.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

8/10 seemed a bit high to me but still an enjoyable episode for me in that we get to see what Q had spoken of before. The darker nature of the galaxy.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I would've gone with a 7 myself, and that only because of Picard's take on the afterlife.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think it would qualify with a pretty decent 7 for me.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The approach to Worf is quite interesting, I thought. They were still not settled on a direction for the Klingons, it seems. When in combat Worf goes into some weird blood rage, like he's totally out of control, as if they wanted him to be almost animalistic. Compare that to the ice cool always in control super honourable Worf of late TNG and DS9, it's almost a completely different character.

I find it curious that Picard acts as if this exercise is intended to probe deep dark secrets about the Klingons. Humans fought the Klingons on and off for something like a century... and they have no idea how Klingons fight? True most of the time it was a cold war, and we may assume that what combat there was was largely in space between ships, but surely ground forces clashed now and again. And if nothing else, Worf has gone through Starfleet Academy and then spent years in the fleet - all without ever participating in any kind of hand to hand combat training exercises? Really? :shock:

In fact, you have to wonder how Worf could even have gotten through the Academy if he flips his lid to that extent in training...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well considering that even by this point they didn't have a clear direction on Worf yet and Picard was still an ass, Worf's little temper tantrum doesn't bother me.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If Worf had been made out this way from the start I could have looked past it. But in TOS we saw plenty of Klingons and never really did we have to watch some silly blood rage run out on them. I think they did his character a huge disservice in this episode, in fact they did so in a lot of episodes.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is true. But he really was abit more brash in the earlier seasons.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Again which is a problem as other Klingons from both before and after don't behave in such a fashion. So... why would they make Worf out in such a manner. Kor and Chang followed by Kurn, Gowron and Martok... or the return of Kor.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I never liked how either the Vulcans or Romulans were portrayed in TNG and beyond, the races switched roles. Even Peter David made mention of that in his New Frontier series when Jellico noted how once it was the Klingons who were treacherous and the Romulans who acted honorably.

And yeah, I have a serious problem with the way Worf was portrayed on the holodeck, too.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bear in mind, although written as a sequel to TOS, when it was first made TNG was really meant to be more of a reinvention. They even called it "the Trek Gene had always wanted to make". He put a lot of ideas into it that had been dropped from the original series for lack of time or budget or because the studio wouldn't let him. Part of that was reinventing the races.

Over time they sorted out what worked and what didn't and revamped things somewhat.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:The root causes were very different, but the fundamental phenomena of voids in space that couldn't be scanned were identical, and therefore should at least have been considered - they had a track record of commenting on TOS episodes in The Naked Now, when they acknowledged the E-nil's encounter with Psi-2000.
You're comparing apples with street signs. "The Naked Now" is a direct redress of "The Naked Time." While there were supposed voids or camo'd areas in space in both "The Immunity Syndrome" and "Where Silence Has Lease," they were in fact very different things - and the idea of voids, black space, null space, or whatever-it's-called-this-week is so common in 'Trek as to not really demand a comparison with one other episode. You might as well say, "He should have commented on 'Journey to Babel,' because that one had stars in it too."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer