SFDebris: Pen Pals

The Next Generation
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: SFDebris: Pen Pals

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

IMHO, the Prime Directive is just the remains of Gene Roddenburry's flawed vision of what an utopia should be. There are plenty of things Gene got bad, mostly regarding religion. Well, the P.D., while in principle, isn't bad, is just isn't applicable.

Again, it's simply a rule created so you can violate it. TvTropes says it best:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eDirective
TvTropes wrote:
"Starfleet -- the military arm of the Federation -- claims to observe a "Prime Directive" not to interfere with other species. But all they do is interfere!"
- Klingon Commander Dorak, on the Federation.

This trope involves any code of conduct that artificially constrains the choices available to the protagonist. Often (as with the trope's namesake), it restricts or prevents his use of phlebotinum that would wrap the plot in two seconds otherwise. Conveniently forgotten (or handwaved) when the plot requires it, but some shows do try to use this as a point of plot drama as the protagonists try to find a way to twist the rules to fit the situation.

The Trope Namer is Star Trek, which gave us the "Prime Directive of Non-Interference". It's reproduced in full further down the page, but the short of it is, "[If] the Rubber Forehead Aliens of the Week are sufficiently primitive, [then] do not alter their culture in any way, shape or form." It exists because, in the words of Jean-Luc Picard, "History has proven again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well-intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous." Having said that, Gene Roddenberry is on record that, all moral pontifications aside, the Prime Directive was mostly a Rule of Drama: do we screw the rules and do what's right? Star Trek being what it was, the answer was often "Yes", and generally the crew managed not to bungle it either.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You're discussing at once two different viewpoints. OOU, of course it's a dramatic device - OOU, warp drive is a dramatic device; phasers are a dramatic device; Data's android characteristics are a dramatic device; Spock's heritage is a dramatic device; etc., etc., ad nauseum. IU, however, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss the disparate natures of the TOS PD and the TNG+ PD, as well as the arbitrary and haphazard way in which the PD was applied in the TNG era.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:You're discussing at once two different viewpoints. OOU, of course it's a dramatic device - OOU, warp drive is a dramatic device; phasers are a dramatic device; Data's android characteristics are a dramatic device; Spock's heritage is a dramatic device; etc., etc., ad nauseum. IU, however, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss the disparate natures of the TOS PD and the TNG+ PD, as well as the arbitrary and haphazard way in which the PD was applied in the TNG era.
But the thing is, in TOS, the Prime directive was there to show the crew/captain could do the moral this and violate it. But how did they violate it? In somewhat arguable cases.

In TNG, the Prime Directive was violated, in some instance NOT BY THE CREW. And how did they violate it? To prevent the saving of an entire culture and specie. They took the concept of having limitation in place for drama, and they streched it to the absurd point.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In both instances, the idea of being forced to choose whether or not to violate the PD was there for dramatic purposes. In TOS, the drama came from choosing the morally right thing over the technically right thing - even though all of the captain's/crew's training told them otherwise. It was similar in TNG - the issue wasn't with the decisions, it was with the nature of the TNG-era PD itself. That's what made some of the choices involved ridiculous.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:In TNG, the Prime Directive was violated, in some instance NOT BY THE CREW.
I can't even begin to imagine what you mean by this. People who feature in an episode but aren't of a Starfleet crew are generally people who wouldn't be bound by the PD in any event.
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:In
I can't even begin to imagine what you mean by this. People who feature in an episode but aren't of a Starfleet crew are generally people who wouldn't be bound by the PD in any event.
Worf's brother
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Mikey wrote:In
Worf's brother
I presume you mean his human brother (I forget his name) - in which case, the PD wouldn't apply to him at all. He had no decision to make about violating the PD, since he was never bound by it.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I presume you mean his human brother (I forget his name) - in which case, the PD wouldn't apply to him at all. He had no decision to make about violating the PD, since he was never bound by it.
Actually, the distinct impression given is that Nikolai was bound by the PD, legally at least:
PICARD
I have no intention of compounding
what you've already done by
committing another gross violation
of the Prime Directive.

PICARD
The Prime Directive is a principle
we've all sworn to uphold. Until
that is changed, we cannot follow
any other course of action. Is
that understood?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mikey wrote:You're discussing at once two different viewpoints. OOU, of course it's a dramatic device - OOU, warp drive is a dramatic device; phasers are a dramatic device; Data's android characteristics are a dramatic device; Spock's heritage is a dramatic device; etc., etc., ad nauseum. IU, however, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss the disparate natures of the TOS PD and the TNG+ PD, as well as the arbitrary and haphazard way in which the PD was applied in the TNG era.
If the Prime Directive has to be violated to do the right thing, then the senior people at Starfleet need to review it, and change it to something that works. After all, if the only way to do the right thing is to break the law, then the law needs to be changed.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Coalition wrote:
If the Prime Directive has to be violated to do the right thing, then the senior people at Starfleet need to review it, and change it to something that works. After all, if the only way to do the right thing is to break the law, then the law needs to be changed.
The right thing and the smart thing are not necessarily the same thing. Just sayin'
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:I presume you mean his human brother (I forget his name) - in which case, the PD wouldn't apply to him at all. He had no decision to make about violating the PD, since he was never bound by it.
Actually, the distinct impression given is that Nikolai was bound by the PD, legally at least:
PICARD
I have no intention of compounding
what you've already done by
committing another gross violation
of the Prime Directive.

PICARD
The Prime Directive is a principle
we've all sworn to uphold. Until
that is changed, we cannot follow
any other course of action. Is
that understood?
Hmm. I didn't recall the dialogue, nor Nikolai's employer. I guess if he were operating under the auspices of a UFP organization, he would be bound by the PD. My bad on that example, but it doesn't change the fact that non-UFP operators aren't bound by such strictures.
Coalition wrote:
No doubt, but tangential. We've been discussing the instance of willingness to violate the PD, not our opinions of the PD itself. It's been shown many times in the past that the overwhelming consensus around here is that the TNG-era PD is a big truckload of crap.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The TOS PD made sense. The problem is the TNG writing crew took it to the most absurd extreme they could manage and it just got fucking silly.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The TNG-PD was, to me at least, a clear showing that the writers of the show lacked the IQ required to figure out their own stories.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Tom Paris of all people pointed out how stupid the PD was in Time and Again, the 4th Voyager episode, by asking how extinction was part of a society's development when it was the end of it?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

It is kind of hard to make a situation worse than Complete Annihilation.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's also kind of hard to be dumb enough that Tom Paris notices.
as Bull offed Custer