TNG: Unification

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: TNG: Unification

Post by Mikey »

USSEnterprise wrote:As far as I'm aware we've never really gotten a good clue about troop sizes in Trek. Compared to the dozen or so troops in AR-558 holding the communications thingy, 2000 troops is huge. Its hard to say what they could have done.
We do know, in generalities, the ration of 2000 troops compared to an entire planet, however.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

What I'd like to think is that the 2000 troops were to secure the central station controlling the anti-transporter jammers around Vulcan. This allows other cloaked vessels to land a main assault force to capture Vulcan (like the cloaked D'Deridex). Unfortunately against a prepared Vulcan that plan won't work.

I'd also like to think that the other cloaked vessels beamed the troops off the decoy transports before the D'Deridex blew it up.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Coalition wrote:What I'd like to think is that the 2000 troops were to secure the central station controlling the anti-transporter jammers around Vulcan. This allows other cloaked vessels to land a main assault force to capture Vulcan (like the cloaked D'Deridex). Unfortunately against a prepared Vulcan that plan won't work.

I'd also like to think that the other cloaked vessels beamed the troops off the decoy transports before the D'Deridex blew it up.
(Before Seafort gets to it) We'd all like to think things in order to help trek make sense, but as nothing more of the plan was implied, it appears sending 2000 troops to secure Vulcan was the plan
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Coalition wrote:What I'd like to think is that the 2000 troops were to secure the central station controlling the anti-transporter jammers around Vulcan. This allows other cloaked vessels to land a main assault force to capture Vulcan (like the cloaked D'Deridex). Unfortunately against a prepared Vulcan that plan won't work.

(Before Seafort gets to it) We'd all like to think things in order to help trek make sense, but as nothing more of the plan was implied, it appears sending 2000 troops to secure Vulcan was the plan
On the bright side, that kind of thinking explain might how the Romulans kept getting their asses kicked during the Dominion War :P
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:(Before Seafort gets to it) We'd all like to think things in order to help trek make sense, but as nothing more of the plan was implied, it appears sending 2000 troops to secure Vulcan was the plan
Coalition's argument is the only one that makes sense. Of course, given that the chief planner announced the details of the Trojan horse to three prisoners and then left them alone with the tools to warn the Federation, it's entirely possible that she was stupid enough to think 2000 men would be enough to do the whole job.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I did wonder if the Romulans planned a terrorist style campaign. I had in mind the old Chuck Norris movie Invasion USA. If you haven't seen it, the idea is that the Russians train a big bunch of guys up and equip them with weapons and explosives, then they sneak them into America - not via civilian channels or anything, they use a bunch of amphibious landing craft so they can bring lots of weapons and stuff. But it's not an invasion as such, the landing force blend into civilian life and launch masses of terrorist attacks which paralyse the country.

Okay, it's a damn silly movie. But something like that would be at least somewhat plausible... the ships could beam down thousands of Romulans all over the planet with weapons, and they could be launching terrorist style attacks all over the place. Vulcan would be in chaos for quite a long time.

Arguing against it, though... thingie said reunification would become "A fact of life" if her plan succeeded. Whereas in this case it wouldn't be reunification at all, just a bit of chaos. It's also really hard to see how it wouldn't lead to full scale war between the Federation and the Romulans, though that applies just as much to any variant of the plan. I mean, this has to be the dumbest aspect of the whole thing. "Russia invaded Texas? Well they've conquered the whole state, it's just a fact of life, nothing to be done about it now. Guess we'd better just get on with life as usual." :worried:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Arguing against it, though... thingie said reunification would become "A fact of life" if her plan succeeded. Whereas in this case it wouldn't be reunification at all, just a bit of chaos. It's also really hard to see how it wouldn't lead to full scale war between the Federation and the Romulans, though that applies just as much to any variant of the plan.
Wouldn't be the first time a bunch of thugs thought a few explosions would cause a country to cede part of its territory to another country.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.