Casting List

The Next Generation
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Casting List

Post by Atekimogus »

Not sure if this is genuine, interesting nevertheless:

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Casting List

Post by Mikey »

That's a great find. I think Yaphet Kotto would have been every bit as good as Stewart.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Who??
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yaphet Kotto, best known as Mr. Big in Live And Let Die, but also as the lieutenant in the TV series Homicide: Life on the Street as well as for his roles in Alien and The Running Man.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah - here's the link for which I was looking. Also, in the 1980 Othello, he played the title role as well as anyone on film, including Hopkins... and ironically almost as well as a live performance of the same role I saw once by a young man named Avery Brooks.

EDIT: Also, Mark, he happens to be our cousin... grandson (IIRC) of the Crown Prince of Cameroon, and an observant Jew.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sorry for the three-peat, but did that list say a candidate for Yar was Bunty Bailey?! That was the girl from the video for Norwegian pop trio A-Ha's Take On Me.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Sorry for the three-peat, but did that list say a candidate for Yar was Bunty Bailey?! That was the girl from the video for Norwegian pop trio A-Ha's Take On Me.
Yes, yes it does indeed say that.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Deepcrush wrote:
Mikey wrote:Sorry for the three-peat, but did that list say a candidate for Yar was Bunty Bailey?! That was the girl from the video for Norwegian pop trio A-Ha's Take On Me.
Yes, yes it does indeed say that.
I think a developped character of Tasha Yar would have been a thousand time more interesting than the developped Deanna Troi character we got.

The only thing we've ever saw of Yar was the lousy first episodes. And some time-travel shennanigan.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Though she was damn good in Yesterdays Enterprise.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Deepcrush wrote:Though she was damn good in Yesterdays Enterprise.
Time-Travel shennanigan. Damn good shennanigan, but still shennanigan :(

I just can imagine her instead of Troi in Face of the Ennemy. And that would have cut down on the silly Madam Troi episode.

Madam Troi: Proof that there is no law against sexual harassment in the 24th century.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Julia Nickson guested in a couple of episodes. Was also Sinclairs on off girlfriend in B5.

And Yaphet Cotto will always be Agent Mosely to me.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But I think the character was mis-designed for the dual role of Tactical Officer/Security Chief. Especially when matched up against Worf. Now, if they actually split the duties like would make sense, I guess she'd make an interesting Tactical Officer, but that would limit her to the bridge most of the time.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Nah. keep Yar as Chief of Security, have Worf as Tactical officer. And have Yar beat up Worf once in a while, and vice-versa, when Alien of the Week take control of their bodies. Something to keep a healthy competition between the two.

Hell, Worf/Yar made a lot more sense than Worf/Deanna, don't you agree?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Romantically yes. But Worf was pretty much designed for combat. The only one who could take him in a fight, hands down, is the only one who gives two shits less.........Data.

But, I can see Yar getting promoted to something akin to DS9s Strategic Operations Officer (ie a Command-level trainee). I think she would have made a better second officer than Data, for sure. I would have done the following.

Transfer Data over as the Science Officer (for Gods sake, that was what he was doing almost every episode anyway), and on a ship the size of the E-D, THAT is a big job anyway, still leaving him as a senior officer and a command level.

In season two, promote Yar to Second Officer, put her in as the Operations Officer (AND in command red). That would have made for some terrific character interaction as she learns command from Picard and Riker (two entirely different officers), and Worf steps up into his first assignment as a department head. Would have been nice to see him grow into the job, not just suddenly excel at it all at once. Hell, even Max Klinger took some time to grow into being a company clerk and the storylines were great.

I mean, he's rude, solitary, a loaner, arrogant, violent, and sure as hell not easy to get along with, or work FOR. I mean, he's not exactly a team player, especially in early TNG.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

I say the best plan would have been to shove Yar out of an airlock during the first episode because she was awful. I would have prefered if Troy went with her as well. Yar always struck me as completly incapable of handling any sort of crisis. Like she was always just a bit out of control and about to break down mentally. Those two were just awful characters.