TNG: Reunion - Hypothesis

The Next Generation
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: TNG: Reunion - Hypothesis

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Deepcrush wrote:It was fun watching Worf and Kurn interacting.
Fun, and slightly heartbreaking.

I'm just thinking what a Russia child who grew up in the U.S.A., trying desperatly to cling to what it is to be a Russian, but only seeing the romancized version via media.

And then meet his smaller brother, who was genuinely grown in Russia.

Worf's tragedy is a very sad one, methink. Why no one else than the Rozhenko could care for him?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Why no one else than the Rozhenko could care for him?
Anybody else who was a loving, patient parent could have. The fact of the Rozhenkos' ancestral national heritage and accent had nothing to do with it; they, and generations before them, lived entirely in the one-world Earth of the Federation era.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Why no one else than the Rozhenko could care for him?
Anybody else who was a loving, patient parent could have. The fact of the Rozhenkos' ancestral national heritage and accent had nothing to do with it; they, and generations before them, lived entirely in the one-world Earth of the Federation era.
Hum...?

I am not sure to get you. One world Earth of the Federation era?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

By that I mean the fact that Earth had, by the point of TNG, long since become a sort of mono-culture. National divisiveness was a thing of long ago; and while individuals may have retained cultural identifiers such as accents, musical instuments, ethnic foods, etc., I find it impossible to believe that there would still have been cultural differences in parental attitudes toward their children.
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:By that I mean the fact that Earth had, by the point of TNG, long since become a sort of mono-culture. National divisiveness was a thing of long ago; and while individuals may have retained cultural identifiers such as accents, musical instuments, ethnic foods, etc., I find it impossible to believe that there would still have been cultural differences in parental attitudes toward their children.
Oh, 100% agree

However, what I meant is, couldn't they have found a Klingon foster family for them? It's not like they were nobodies; they were the Noble Sons of Mogh!

While it is Klingon tradition to kill the children of your ennemies, I don't think klingons eliminate the children of the ones who honorably died in battle. Worf had cousins, and he knew them, why wasn't he adopted by their parents instead?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm guessing mostly as a result of writers.

I suppose its possible that at Worf's young age he'd never met these cousins, and by the time his adopted parents learned he still had extended family in the Empire, he'd been with them long enough to not want to let him go. Not to mention the sticky legalities of the situation. Worf had been adopted by Federation citizens, which in turn also made him a citizen of the Federation, which I'm assuming is how he was able to join Starfleet. But, as a minor child already adopted, who knows what the complications would have been to get him back to the Empire.....maybe his cousins just didn't feel he was worth the aggravation. They HAD Kurn, after all.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Also remember that his House was under investigation in the Empire. The blood feud that started with the House of Duras over the Khitomer defenses.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:Also remember that his House was under investigation in the Empire. The blood feud that started with the House of Duras over the Khitomer defenses.
Exactly what I was about to say. After Khitomer and Duras' subsequent revision of the events, they were no longer the noble sons of Mogh - they were the sons of nobody. Also, there is a good chance (even given the contradictory nature of what we've learned about TNG-era Klingons, but based on Worf's treatment during that show) that child-Worf would face severe ostracism for having lived with a human family for as long as he did.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Good point, Mikey. Even as an adult we see Worf catch some flak for having been raised around humans. But by that time, he could fight and kick some serious ass, thus at least earning their respect through battle.

A child Worf may not have had that option, or ability.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Deepcrush wrote:Also remember that his House was under investigation in the Empire. The blood feud that started with the House of Duras over the Khitomer defenses.
I thought this slandering only happened recently when we first hear about it? Like, the Klingons discovered new evidence, and they made up a story to incriminate an already dead family.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IIRC, Duras' cover-up began almost immediately following the incident.
as Bull offed Custer