TNG: Legacy

The Next Generation
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

TNG: Legacy

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I just finished watching "Legacy". Nice episode. I think this colony is... ...

Hell. This is probably the most degenerate humans we've ever seen. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED THERE?!?!?!?!

WE NEVER HEAR ABOUT IT AGAIN. What is it with the UFP anyway? Are they just shutting down their ears and refuse to happen to a planet when they tell you "fuck off"?

Also, Ishara's tactic was dumb. She should have stayed with Starfleet, go at the academy, and smuggle fancy toys and ressources back to the planet. That would have been a huge gamble, but with a much better payoff than a momentary tactical advantage. For the cost of a single woman.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: TNG: Legacy

Post by Mark »

I don't think that world was part of the Federation, so I don't think there was jack shit the E-D crew could do about it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I don't think that world was part of the Federation, so I don't think there was jack s**t the E-D crew could do about it.
It was a former Federation colony that severed relations when its government fell apart.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:I don't think that world was part of the Federation, so I don't think there was jack s**t the E-D crew could do about it.
It was a former Federation colony that severed relations when its government fell apart.
Which is why I said what I said:

Is the UFP the kind of organisation that would simply leave and let you fall into civil war when the local government, which was backed, supported, and created by them, simply tells you to fuck off?

A human colony. These people weren't savage. What happened to them? Why did they ended up so... dark and twisted?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Prime Directive.......they can't interfere in the natural development of cultures.....................even if those cultures are already part of the Federation.

Plus, a small distinction. The colony was founded by the UFP, but not actual members of the Federation. We've seen Federation colonies become independant before.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Which is why I said what I said:
I was responding to Mark's belief that Turkana IV was non-Fed.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Is the UFP the kind of organisation that would simply leave and let you fall into civil war when the local government, which was backed, supported, and created by them, simply tells you to f**k off?
Evidently so.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:A human colony. These people weren't savage. What happened to them? Why did they ended up so... dark and twisted?
The government collapsed, leaving them to fend for themselves, so they reverted to type.
Mark wrote:Prime Directive.......they can't interfere in the natural development of cultures.....................even if those cultures are already part of the Federation.
Yet another reason for considering the TNG-era PD to be one of the most morally fucked-up doctrines to exist in either history or fiction.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You have to admit, in TOS it started off as a good concept, but they just made it assinine in TNG.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was good in TOS because they didn't take it to the extremes that TNG did. In TNG you can't interfere with a primitive planet at all, even if it's to prevent the extinction of all life on it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But was that actually the rule? Or just Picards interpritation of it?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:But was that actually the rule? Or just Picards interpritation of it?
That situation was encountered twice, and in both situations the possibility existed to save the population without letting on that extraterrestrial life existed. In the first (Pen Pals) Picard chose to save them, deciding that the PD allowed it, in the second (Homeward) he chose to let them die. This suggests that he got a ticking off as a result of the "Pen Pals" incident, and therefore that genocide is the correct course of action under the PD.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Captain Seafort wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:A human colony. These people weren't savage. What happened to them? Why did they ended up so... dark and twisted?
The government collapsed, leaving them to fend for themselves, so they reverted to type.
I am sorry to say that, but a government doesn't just "collapse". You need to have bloody powerful social drive to make it collapse.

So what happened?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Don't forget about Janeway's interpretation of the PD....

Personally I never got this episode either. It was a Federation/human colony which fell into civil war and chaos after the government fell. The way the colony is now, should be of some concern to the Feds to maybe fix it.

I think they may have tried at one point. Let's think about it. The government is overthrown by some dictator of the week. However the prior-government was so corrupt/worthless that it created a situation where when the Feds showed up they tried to fix it. But it kept on getting worse. Eventually they gave up and let the colony sort it all out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:But was that actually the rule? Or just Picards interpritation of it?
That situation was encountered twice, and in both situations the possibility existed to save the population without letting on that extraterrestrial life existed. In the first (Pen Pals) Picard chose to save them, deciding that the PD allowed it, in the second (Homeward) he chose to let them die. This suggests that he got a ticking off as a result of the "Pen Pals" incident, and therefore that genocide is the correct course of action under the PD.
It's also worth noting that Picard's decision in Pen Pals was to allow the planet to die. His crew more or less mutinied on him in response.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...