SFdebris : Generations

The Next Generation
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFdebris : Generations

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:12:32:32 - Deepcrush opens his beer.

Wait, wrong forum.
Wait, wrong person. :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Things I would do to improve Generations without changing the basic plot :

1) Make clear that most folks in ships die before they reach the Nexus. I'd have had a dozen transports in the opening scene, and had most destroyed way before anybody got any peace and contentment. Make clear that this is usual, hence justifying the "not flying into it" thing.

2) Yes, have the E-D fight off the Romulans. A battle scene here to show that the E-D is a powerful, state of the art ship.

3) Picard should tone the emotions down when he's talking to Troi. Alright, he's upset. But Stewart is the master of conveying such things through quiet stoicism, not by blubbing.

4) Tone down Data. Yeah, okay, the emotion chip is malfunctioning and all that. But jeeeeeze.

5) In line with this, to make them a credible threat, give Lursa and B'Etor a Vor'Cha. When they penetrate the shields, have Geordi change frequencies and the Klingons just watch him do it and remodulate the weapons. And ave the E-D fight back bigtime, but the Klingon shields manage to hold up. For that matter, screw the fake-out with the cloaking device; the E-D wins anyway just by pounding away enough to batter the shields down. This makes them more heroic, beating cheating adversaries through strength rather than cheating the cheaters.

6) For Pete's sake, make Beverly Picard's wife in the Nexus! The woman has barely anything to do during the whole movie, and it would be a nice nod to the whole "they want to but won't" thing they've always had going on.

7) Don't make Guinan in the Nexus an "echo". It's daft. Why is she there? because in the Nexus you get what you want. And whilst most of Picard wants the fantasy... some part of him wants to be convinced to leave and do his duty. Just say Guinan is there because his conscience wished her there - it's in line with the idea of the Nexus and saves a needless clunky bit of exposition.

8) Similarly, have Picard not going too far back because he doesn't want to alter the time line too much. Make the point that he doesn't know the E-D has been destroyed, so he has no idea he can go and save it.

9) For Pete's sake, give Kirk a proper burial! In fact I might just say that his body is being returned to Earth for a full state funeral.

I thought the exact same thing about the Vorcha, that would have been far better, although I am ABSOLUTELY sure that the reason they used the BOP was just to use the explosion footage from ST6, I am sure that was the ONLY reason. One thing that I thought tyhe movie lacked was more interaction between Picard and Kirk, the whole scene in the movie felt vague, and a little 'alien'. It didn't feel to me that Picard was beholden to a LEGEND, and the man who made Enterprise an icon in the history of the Federation and Strarfleet. And when Kirk brought up Spock, I think Picard should have mentioned him, AND Scotty, and the fact that McCoy was there for the E-D's maiden voyage...I dunno, I feel let down by that interaction, like it really didn't measure up to the iconic (maybe fanwanking) idea of a grand meeting between these two. Just my two cents...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There's nothing "fanwanking" about expecting the meeting of the franchise's two most iconic captains to consist of more than,

"Let's go save this random planet."
"Naaah."
"Oh come on."
"Oh alright."
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Tyyr wrote:There's nothing "fanwanking" about expecting the meeting of the franchise's two most iconic captains to consist of more than,

"Let's go save this random planet."
"Naaah."
"Oh come on."
"Oh alright."

My point exactly, It all felt a little 'hollow'...Almost as if the writers didn't know what to make them say, so they went the 'safe' route...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

What gets me is why Picard needs Kirks help to beat up an old dude. He took out an entire group of terrorists single handidly, took on 2 Klingons barehanded and managed to kill one with his own knife, escaped from the Schimitar taking out about 15 Remans in the process, and rogered Vash. Soran should have been mincemeat.

I don't even see why Picard and Kirk had to meet in the first place, a heroric death at the start of the film was more then adequate.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What I'm confused about is why Picard chose Kirk in the first place. Were I in his place, I'd be going a bit further back in time to pick up an SAS member.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic wrote:What I'm confused about is why Picard chose Kirk in the first place. Were I in his place, I'd be going a bit further back in time to pick up an SAS member.
Wasn't he limited to people actually in the Nexus though?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps. It's been a while since I've seen it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wasn't Kirk the only "real" person Picard ran into in there?

In any event, Kost is right. The whole encounter reeks of a contrivance to provide some "missing link" between TOS and TNG that the producers felt should be there... but which the fans didn't need.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:Wasn't Kirk the only "real" person Picard ran into in there?

In any event, Kost is right. The whole encounter reeks of a contrivance to provide some "missing link" between TOS and TNG that the producers felt should be there... but which the fans didn't need.

I was fine with Kirk's outro to the Undiscovered Country. I think we can identify alot more ways how B&B screwed up Trek if we look hard enough, this is a prime example...
- Female Changeling
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mikey wrote:Wasn't Kirk the only "real" person Picard ran into in there?
Yeah, unforntunately Guinan was just a 'shadow'

I'd assume the other El Aurians that Scotty failed to beam aboard because they were phasing in and out of existance were still in the Nexus, but I doubt any of them would want to leave.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Couldn't Kirk and Picard have gone back with some WEAPONS maybe? Wouldn't the Nexus have been able to accomodate that in some way?
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

How so? Outside of the Nexus, all of the "things" inside are fictitious constructs.
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:How so? Outside of the Nexus, all of the "things" inside are fictitious constructs.

I thought that too, akin to the holodeck, but now that I think about it, is there really anything to suggest that in the movie directly?
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Didn't Kirk and Picard ride out of the Nexus, but were on foot once they emerged?
as Bull offed Custer