SFdebris : Generations

The Next Generation
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFdebris : Generations

Post by Deepcrush »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBJacyRzK0

Loved this review and totally agree with the ending score. When sitting through a movie makes you feel the same level of comfort as driving while needing to piss, its not right. I'm glad Chuck has brought back the energy he seemed to have lost earlier on in the summer. Guess the time off was a good time off.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: SFdebris : Generations

Post by kostmayer »

Star Trek Generations was on TV last night. Had a good old snarkfest over it online.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Not that kind of bridge, McFly!"
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Him talking about the DVD extras was something new to me. I can't believe someone thought that the scene with the stupid sailing ship was worth doing instead of an action sequence. I never really had a problem with how Data was written (it was supposed to be annoying) but Picard and Kirk were handled terribly in the film.

I don't really have an opinion on the Picard vs Kirk (two different eras and both suited them well) but I don't think Picard's style translates to movies nearly as well as Kirk's did or I believe Sisko's would have. They did better with him later...but he did not really feel like the character from the tv show during movies like First Contact (which I enjoyed).

The real shame is that to see GCS actually do some damage in battle we had to wait for them to play a role in DS9, and even then it was just a bit roll at times.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Am I the only one who like their Sail Uniforms? I thought they looked pretty cool, even more so when Riker and Picard stood on the bridge.

Anyways they should have just sucked up the cost and done a brief fight with the Romulans. Nothing major but it would have allowed some elements of surprise when the Klingons show up. Same thing with the ending battle with the BoP. Sure, not having shields is a bitch but get over it. You've got a far more powerful ship and now you have the chance and reasoning to got balls out with it. SO F***ING DO IT ALREADY!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Am I the only one who like their Sail Uniforms? I thought they looked pretty cool, even more so when Riker and Picard stood on the bridge.
Aye - they're proper uniforms rather than glorified pyjamas. Much better even than the TOS movie uniforms IMO.
You've got a far more powerful ship and now you have the chance and reasoning to got balls out with it. SO F***ING DO IT ALREADY!
Look on the bright side - at least the performance was in character for the one-shot wonder. :roll:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Aye - they're proper uniforms rather than glorified pyjamas. Much better even than the TOS movie uniforms IMO.
You're not supposed to agree with me damnit!

But true enough, I think the cast even stood a little taller when they were wearing them. I'm a bit anal about how things in my FanFic's have to be more practical then good looking but for those uniforms I think I'll make an exception. Give them a blood stripe and they'd be perfect.
Look on the bright side - at least the performance was in character for the one-shot wonder. :roll:
Maybe, though I did enjoy watching Picard run to Kirk for help. Kirk, old and fat and retired and dead... still kicks the shite out of the bad guy and saves the day.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:You're not supposed to agree with me damnit!
And you're not meant to be complementing the 18th/19th century Royal Navy. :P Call it evens.
Maybe, though I did enjoy watching Picard run to Kirk for help. Kirk, old and fat and retired and dead... still kicks the shite out of the bad guy and saves the day.
Pfft. Compared with a genetically engineered superman, even Malcolm McDowell's nothing. Although he did seem to have the only decent handgun in Trek.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:And you're not meant to be complementing the 18th/19th century Royal Navy. :P Call it evens.
Hey, in my defense they look close enough to our own uniforms of the time so that I don't have to hate them on requirement.
Pfft. Compared with a genetically engineered superman, even Malcolm McDowell's nothing. Although he did seem to have the only decent handgun in Trek.
True, but when Kirk fought Khan he was young and in shape and alive! Though I guess it about evens out in the end...

Picard is still a pussy. :lol:

"Get back to your scrapbook sally sue"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hey, to be fair to Picard, he was up against a superior opponent who'd had literally decades to perfect his combat technique.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Hey, to be fair to Picard, he was up against a superior opponent who'd had literally decades to perfect his combat technique.
Kirk was in his early 30's when he fought a superhuman that ruled half of Asia. Sisko punched a "Q" in the face for the hell of it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

True. Considering how bad ass Picard ended up in later movies, he should have put up a better fight.

Maybe that's why he's more of a fighter in the later films; his defeat to Soren made him decide to learn to fight.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, when the old fat dead guy is more impressive in a fight then you... tis time to trot... aka grow a pair and go kick some ass.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

This is the same Picard who took got ambushed by 2 armed Klingons and killed one of them with his own knife.

And who went all John McClaine and took out a bunch of terrorists - in cold blood in some cases. He was already badass, he should have kicked Sorens El Aurien butt into orbit.
Last edited by kostmayer on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe he was having an off day? It happens.