SFDebris: Family

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Family

Post by Nutso »

Meet Robert Picard, the Happiest Man in Europe!
Had to share Chuck's description for the episode:
Opinionated Next Gen Episode Guide looks at what is allegedly a Star Trek episode, Family. For those who have wanted to see a science fiction program with sixty year old men wrestling in the mud, your day has come! Plus, Wesley's backstory is fleshed out to the utter joy of his fan.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris: Family

Post by Deepcrush »

I have to disagree with this review. I think this was a good trek ep in that it was the perfect follow up to BoBW. I enjoyed watching Picard show his pain much as we saw from Kirk in TWoK. We also, finally, get a reason for why Worf is such a high and mighty view of a Klingon. His adoptive parents raised him as such, almost Samurai, not knowing that normal Klingons weren't really much different the vikings.

I'd give this ep an eight out of ten. If they would have left out the Crusher plot and replaced it with a Riker plot, it would have been a nine. Or even ten if the Riker plot was well done.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:I have to disagree with this review. I think this was a good trek ep in that it was the perfect follow up to BoBW. I enjoyed watching Picard show his pain much as we saw from Kirk in TWoK.
True, but I can see where he's coming from. The majority of Trek eps involve solving some kind of problem, even when that takes a back seat in practice to the character development. This one is purely character-driven, with only a few minor (and easily-changeable) comments that even make it sci-fi. I don't know of any other episode of any of the series that you can say that about.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I fully agree with Deep. After BOBW, something like this had to be done. To leave such emotional issues hanging would be a giant disservice to the characters and audience.

And heck, I didn't even mind the Wesley subplot.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I fully agree with Deep. After BOBW, something like this had to be done. To leave such emotional issues hanging would be a giant disservice to the characters and audience.

I think this is one of the better eps of TNG myself.
Captain Seafort wrote:True, but I can see where he's coming from. The majority of Trek eps involve solving some kind of problem, even when that takes a back seat in practice to the character development.

Maybe so, but does the problem being covered in the ep have to be a Sci-Fi to be trek? I'd think that saving the career of the flagship captain is a good issue for Trek. As well as covering the issues of Worf's upbringing.

While I can see why someone would think its not a trek ep for reason "A". I personally see it as strange to ignore points "B, C, and D" so that you and get along with said thoughts.
This one is purely character-driven, with only a few minor (and easily-changeable) comments that even make it sci-fi. I don't know of any other episode of any of the series that you can say that about.
Shows like B5, Firefly and Space:Above and Beyond had several eps like this. Hell, almost all of Firefly could be counted to this matter.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I fully agree with Deep. After BOBW, something like this had to be done. To leave such emotional issues hanging would be a giant disservice to the characters and audience.

I think this is one of the better eps of TNG myself.
So do I, actually. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

In all of the best eps of 'Trek, the sci-fi takes a definite backseat to the characters and the themes. Conversely, the worst of them are the ones in which the sci-fi is foremost.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm inclined to agree with the majority opinion here. Family was a very appropriate follow-up to BOBW, and I think it worked quite well. Sure, it was lacking a bit in the sci-fi department, but that's hardly a strike against it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

One of my faves too.

After the huge events that occured in the last 2 episodes, I think a brief pause in the action was needed. Would have been such a waste if they hadn't taken advantage of the Enterprises return to Earth.

And Patrick Stewart acted his backside off.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I posted my response from here onto youtube and got over two hundred agreements the same day. Oh, and one dislike about how the violence shown was an insult to GR's dream of trek... :lol:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:I posted my response from here onto youtube and got over two hundred agreements the same day. Oh, and one dislike about how the violence shown was an insult to GR's dream of trek... :lol:
Just found your response and agreed. Here's mine:
Sorry, gotta disagree. This episode was based on the characters... which Trek does. Trek at its best is character-driven. This episode is not only character-driven, it's also essential after BOBW. To not sit back and examine what happened to Picard and the aftereffects would not only be bad writing, it'd be a crime against his character. And an insult to the audience as well. What was supposed to happen, they just fly off and leave the emotional aftereffects hanging?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

How do you say the same things as me yet disagree???
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I think he was disagreeing with Chuck, not you...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh okay, that makes a lot more sense. :bangwall:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

It's cool, Deep. I might've worded it better. No worries, friend.