Justice... why?

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Justice... why?

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:No, it would have still been a crime. The trick to the Edo system is that they pick one... either spot or law, and that's the only thing the enforce that day/week/whatever. Break that law or any law in that spot, and they kill you for it. Do it anywhere else or another law and they don't do dick to you. So it would have been a crime, he just had the bad luck to break the wrong law on the wrong day/place, and was going to get executed for it otherwise it wouldn't have been punished.
Well, I suppose it would have been a crime, but there would have been no enforcement if it were anywhere except the designated area.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:That is... pretty f***ed up. Hmm... now the plot bunnies are biting... ;)
Someone should do a fanfic where the Edo world is eaten by a Doomsday Machine.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:That is... pretty f***ed up. Hmm... now the plot bunnies are biting... ;)
Someone should do a fanfic where the Edo world is eaten by a Doomsday Machine.
Actually, I was thinking Grand Admiral Pellaeon decided to take a vacation in Federation space, so he and his family picks a planet at random. This being early in contact with the Federation, they don't have the info on Edo properly situated. They land in a shuttle... disturbing some grass that's 'protected'. The Edo try to capture them... but their enforcers or whoever are promptly stunned. Their 'god' tries to intervene, but is blasted out of the sky by the ISS Chimaera.

Good idea? Bad idea?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:Wait, since when is it "just the regular stuff" when it includes breaking the local flowering.
It's worse - apparently, "the regular stuff" means psychically divining some random, arbitrarily chosen 4x4 patch of space which changes daily.
Lemme find the dialogue :

TASHA : "I've listed my report on their customs and laws, sir. Fairly simple, common sense things."

That's all she says about it. :shock:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Come on, common sense dictates that we all should die if we break glass... :bangwall:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Come on, common sense dictates that we all should die if we break glass... :bangwall:
Note, she says the laws are common sense, nothing about the punishments.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:their enforcers or whoever are promptly stunned.
Unrealistic I think. These are stormies, remember - Vader had to specify that he wanted the Tantive IV's passengers alive, which I think says something about their SOPs
Their 'god' tries to intervene, but is blasted out of the sky by the ISS Chimaera.
Followed shortly thereafter by Pelly demonstrating what real vandalism is. Any takers as to what that might be? :twisted:
Good idea? Bad idea?
Neither. Brilliant idea.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Their 'god' tries to intervene, but is blasted out of the sky by the ISS Chimaera.
Followed shortly thereafter by Pelly demonstrating what real vandalism is. Any takers as to what that might be? :twisted:
BDZ (or whatever the proper acronym is)?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Captain Seafort wrote:Neither. Brilliant idea.
100% agreement.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:BDZ (or whatever the proper acronym is)?
Correct. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Bah, take the women, they're easy, and then BDZ the hell hole.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:their enforcers or whoever are promptly stunned.
Unrealistic I think. These are stormies, remember - Vader had to specify that he wanted the Tantive IV's passengers alive, which I think says something about their SOPs
Stormies under Pellaon's Empire, though. And in the territory of someone who is at least not an enemy-if not allied directly.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Neither. Brilliant idea.
Hmm, I am getting ready to put up more fics... thanks! :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Stormies under Pellaon's Empire, though. And in the territory of someone who is at least not an enemy-if not allied directly.
Pelly might not be prone to the sort of mass murder of civilians because he got out on the wrong side of bed that Tarkin or Vader were prone to, but neither is he particularly mindful of things like the Geneva Convention. He is, when all's said and done, an Imperial officer.

As for the status of the Edo, if they're trying to execute Imperial military personnel then they're definitely "the enemy".
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:Wait, since when is it "just the regular stuff" when it includes breaking the local flowering.
It's worse - apparently, "the regular stuff" means psychically divining some random, arbitrarily chosen 4x4 patch of space which changes daily.
Lemme find the dialogue :

TASHA : "I've listed my report on their customs and laws, sir. Fairly simple, common sense things."

That's all she says about it. :shock:
Maybe, it's common sense in the Federation all laws to be only be punishable by the death penalty? It would explain the very low crime rates in the Federation.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

JudgeKing wrote:Maybe, it's common sense in the Federation all laws to be only be punishable by the death penalty? It would explain the very low crime rates in the Federation.
...except for the fact that Picard explicitly states that capital punishment was archaic and obsolete in the Federation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer