The Next Generation
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Justice... why?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
JudgeKing wrote:Maybe, it's common sense in the Federation all laws to be only be punishable by the death penalty? It would explain the very low crime rates in the Federation.
...except for the fact that Picard explicitly states that capital punishment was archaic and obsolete in the Federation.
And in TOS, there was only one capital law left on the books.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And in TOS, there was only one capital law left on the books.
Which changed between episodes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was a very indecisive book?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:It was a very indecisive book?
The first signs of the TNG-era Starfleet starting to raise its head maybe?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And in TOS, there was only one capital law left on the books.
Which changed between episodes.
How did it?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

In The Menagerie, GO 7 was the only death penalty left. In Turnabout Intruder it was GO 4 (mutiny).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

IU, could be a difference between SF and the UFP... That's the best IU I can think of at the moment.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Or... wait. Kirk wasn't Kirk in that episode. His mind had been replaced by Lister. And not that Lister, either, just to cut off the jokes. :P Maybe she got it wrong?

Also... hope this is all right, but I need a reason why Pellaeon would think Edo was a good planet for shore leave. At this point, it's only been about a month for formal first contact between the Remnant and the Federation. They don't have the relevant data, there's a problem with the Federation database... anything?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

IU they might simply have bumped up mutiny to a capital offence some time after The Menagerie. OOU, of course, cocked up because they didn't read through old scripts to check if they'd said the same thing before. Much the same as the hundred and one "hardest/strongest substance(s) known".
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Or... wait. Kirk wasn't Kirk in that episode. His mind had been replaced by Lister. And not that Lister, either, just to cut off the jokes. :P Maybe she got it wrong?
It wasn't Lister - it was Sulu and Chekov:
KIRK: Enough to convict you of conspiracy with mutineers. And you're so charged. The sentence, death. Mister Lemli.
CHEKOV: Starfleet expressly forbids the death penalty.
KIRK: All my senior officers turning against me?
SULU: The death penalty is forbidden. There's only one exception.
CHEKOV: General Order Four. It has not been violated by any officer on the Enterprise.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Wait... Sulu and Chekov both say that mutiny is not a capital offense. I admit the GO was changed, but it doesn't appear that the specific act-going to Talos IV-was changed.

Also, I think I got how Pellaeon missed the info about the Edo.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Wait... Sulu and Chekov both say that mutiny is not a capital offense.
No, they say it is a capital offence, it simply hasn't been committed (apparently conspiracy to mutiny doesn't count).
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

They both say that consipiricy to commit mutiny is not a capital offence, and that General Order 4 has not been violated by any crew member of the Enterprise.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:In The Menagerie, GO 7 was the only death penalty left. In Turnabout Intruder it was GO 4 (mutiny).
I think you misremember. When Lester in Kirk's body orders death for mutiny, the officer object specifically that "Starfleet expressly forbids the death penalty." and "The death penalty is forbidden." and "There's only one exception. - General Order 4."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...