Justice... why?

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Justice... why?

Post by Mikey »

In TNG: "Justice," it's mentioned at the beginning that the away team is going planetside to assess the planet for R&R for the crew - in essence, shore leave. Considering the size and diversity of the UFP in the TNG era, wouldn't that be reserved for a Federation world?

Further, the Edo were enough behind the level of the Federation to require Picard to explain what "orbit" means. Wouldn't the Prime Directive prevent an overt Starfleet presence in any event?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Justice... why?

Post by stitch626 »

That is what I consider one of the biggest flaws of this episode. They completely ignore the prime directive when it would be a fine time to follow it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That always confused me. What were they doing contacting such an undeveloped race? Why didn't the Edo warn them about their laws when the punishment for breaking them is death?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Season 1 TNG. 'Nuff said.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Why didn't the Edo warn them about their laws when the punishment for breaking them is death?
If they had no concept even of what planetary orbit was, it's pretty easy to think that they had no conception of anyone having different legal procedure.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In fairness to the writers, I don't think they had decided how to handle the Prime Directive just yet. There are several cases of them interacting with primitive peoples, but just not deliberately interfering - Code of Honor, Justice, Angel One to name three (although it's not absolutely certain that Angel One and Code of Honor lacked spacecraft, they sure did seem to).

The thing I find most hideous about Justice is that Tasha Yar blithely states that she's reviewed the local laws at the start of the episode and it's all standard stuff. She was ordered to review their laws... and she never once thought to ask about their punishments for breaking them? Utter incompetence, yet nobody ever calls her on it.

And the other most hideous thing is, Picard goes on about Justice but NO legal system concerns itself with justice. Not the Edo one, and not the Federation one! We are repeatedly told, time and time again, that Federation visitors to other worlds abide by the laws of those worlds. Now suddenly it's revealed that there's a whopping great big "... but only if those laws are considered to be just by Federation standards" on the end of that?! Picard should have left Wesley to his fate.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Seems early on, it was more the TOS version of the Prime Directive than the later TNG version. To quote Kirk from 'The World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky',
No, the people of Yonada may be changed by the knowledge, but it's better than exterminating them.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Picard should have left Wesley to his fate.
Seconded. :happydevil:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The thing I find most hideous about Justice is that Tasha Yar blithely states that she's reviewed the local laws at the start of the episode and it's all standard stuff. She was ordered to review their laws... and she never once thought to ask about their punishments for breaking them? Utter incompetence, yet nobody ever calls her on it.
Interesting, I hadn't caught that.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Nor did I. That's the stupidest thing ever, reviewing a lawbook without looking at punishment.

Wait, since when is it "just the regular stuff" when it includes breaking the local flowering. :roll:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nickswitz wrote:Wait, since when is it "just the regular stuff" when it includes breaking the local flowering.
It's worse - apparently, "the regular stuff" means psychically divining some random, arbitrarily chosen 4x4 patch of space which changes daily.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It could fall under vandalism. He did smash the planter.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:It could fall under vandalism. He did smash the planter.

Right, but if he smashed any other planter, it wouldn't have been a crime. :?
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, it would have still been a crime. The trick to the Edo system is that they pick one... either spot or law, and that's the only thing the enforce that day/week/whatever. Break that law or any law in that spot, and they kill you for it. Do it anywhere else or another law and they don't do dick to you. So it would have been a crime, he just had the bad luck to break the wrong law on the wrong day/place, and was going to get executed for it otherwise it wouldn't have been punished.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That is... pretty fucked up. Hmm... now the plot bunnies are biting... ;)