Suddenly Human

The Next Generation
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Suddenly Human

Post by Nickswitz »

I was watching this episode, and it's actually a good one. The premise is interesting and the story line is good and even better is when wesley gets hit in the face with a banana split, it was amazing, bob and I were dying.

So, what was everyones thoughts on this?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Suddenly Human

Post by Mikey »

Er, which one was this again?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Its the one where they find an old abandoned talarian(?) ship with a bunch of kids on it. They are all injured and one is human. They bring them to the Enterprise and think that the human was captured and was tortured so they don't want to give him back to the talarians even though he wants to go back. So the decision Picard has to make is what is more important, the boys decision or bringing him back to the federation.

That's the brief of it at least.
The world ended

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nickswitz wrote:So the decision Picard has to make is what is more important, the boys decision or bringing him back to the federation.
And as usual when moral or military decisions are in the offing he made the wrong one.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, he let the kid decide, so yeah. And also in the next episode he warned Riker about letting emotions getting the better of you. :roll:
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Oh, yeah. I remember this one. Yeah, the premis is good - makes one think, as it's not a clear-cut decision. As to Wes getting hit with a sundae... too bad it wasn't a brick.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Wait. Didn't this same kid stab Picard in his sleep? Oh yes......I'd want to get him the hell off my ship after that too.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always thought it was odd that they made the aliens so weak in comparison to the Federation. I guess they wanted to make sure Picard was free to do what he thought right without consideration of consequences, but it just seemed odd that the aliens were so determined to press a fight when according to Worf the E-D could swat them like flies if it wanted to.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good point. It wasn't surprising that there was a nation so far behind the UFP, but certainly they'd be able to determine how badly the E-D would curbstomp them.
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mark wrote:Wait. Didn't this same kid stab Picard in his sleep? Oh yes......I'd want to get him the hell off my ship after that too.
Well, last time Data had a rough night he stuck Troi in the turbolift (not a euphamism - alas), though thats not the most dangerous thing Data has done during one of his 'spells'.
Nickswitz wrote:And also in the next episode he warned Riker about letting emotions getting the better of you.
Bit arsey on Picards part that - did he really expect Riker to someone behind?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They might have been willing to press the issue because they figured the pacifist Federation might back down.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that the Cardassian/Federation war apparently went in the weaker power's favour, it's possible they felt that they could extract a similar victory despite their disadvantages.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Given that the Cardassian/Federation war apparently went in the weaker power's favour, it's possible they felt that they could extract a similar victory despite their disadvantages.
If you're referring to the admiral's line from TNG: "The Wounded," I was watching it again last night - it's hardly clear whether the indication that the UFP lost or had heavy losses inflicted, or whether just the political climate in the UFP at the time made war a dangerous proposition.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There seem to be a couple of cases in the Federation's history where a weak power has won a victory over them in some kind of local arena... possibly because the Federation didn't have the guts to go beat them, Vietnam style, perhaps.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:If you're referring to the admiral's line from TNG: "The Wounded," I was watching it again last night - it's hardly clear whether the indication that the UFP lost or had heavy losses inflicted, or whether just the political climate in the UFP at the time made war a dangerous proposition.
It's not The Wounded - it's Journey's End. The fact that the Federation was giving up territory to the Cardies shows that at the very least they must have held their own.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.