Should Hugh Have Been Used To Destroy The Borg?

The Next Generation
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Should Hugh Have Been Used To Destroy The Borg?

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Deepcrush wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Unimatrix Zero I think mentioned that. It was never seen, but an assimilated Klingon officer talked about it.
I thought they showed the three BoP's in the attack run?
3 Birds of Prey <<<<<<<<<< 40 Federation Starships

I really don't see what they though they'd achieve with that...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They were possibly the only ships in range. The Cubes can exceed warp 9.6 at least, so they were probably our of range for a lot of forces.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tsukiyumi wrote:They were possibly the only ships in range. The Cubes can exceed warp 9.6 at least, so they were probably our of range for a lot of forces.
I know. It was still a suicidal run made by the Klingon General. A very stupid one.

But I guess the Klingon probably wanted to gather a few first-hand intel on them. What do you think is their professional, Klingonese opinion on them, as ennemies?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The Klingons were asked for aid, and they sent whatever ships could get there in time. How is that stupid?

Of course they fought with courage, knowing they were going to die. Many brave people have done the same thing throughout actual history: dying for a good cause.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tsukiyumi wrote:The Klingons were asked for aid, and they sent whatever ships could get there in time. How is that stupid?

Of course they fought with courage, knowing they were going to die. Many brave people have done the same thing throughout actual history: dying for a good cause.
Yup. Except that, you know, fighting the Borg makes them stronger. They get more men, more material, more technology every single time you engage them, by their very nature.

They get stronger everytime you beat them, or they beat you.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yes, that is of course a valid point, but the Klingons aren't going to wait around for reinforcements if they have the chance to attack.

We have no evidence that the Klingons knew anything about the Borg at that point, either.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tsukiyumi wrote:Yes, that is of course a valid point, but the Klingons aren't going to wait around for reinforcements if they have the chance to attack.

We have no evidence that the Klingons knew anything about the Borg at that point, either.
And thus, exposed themselves and their technology to the Borg Collective, which might want to take a closer look later on.

Hmm.. I wonder why the Borg never perfected cloning technology? maybe they always want new "minds" to their Collective, and clones would effectively contribute nothing?

I have a theory about the Borg: they are not so dangerous, in theory. They don't want to assimilate non-stop every being in the galaxy. They simply probe and raid civilisation to keep up to date with their technology, biology and sociology. They kinda expect to be defeated, as they don't want to see the source of their constant improvement to be cut down.

The Fed has probably already supplied wonders in technological advancements. BECAUSE they met the Borg and decided to go into High Speed Defence mode.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SolkaTruesilver wrote: 3 Birds of Prey <<<<<<<<<< 40 Federation Starships

I really don't see what they though they'd achieve with that...
Attacking the Borg forces them out of warp which buys time for the Federation to prepare a defense.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Hmm.. I wonder why the Borg never perfected cloning technology? maybe they always want new "minds" to their Collective, and clones would effectively contribute nothing?
Well first off the Borg wouldn't perfect cloning technology, they'd have to steal it from someone else. The Borg don't create, innovate, or advance. They assimilate. Secondly, if they just started cloning drones and not bothering to assimilate new species and individuals how do they advance their culture?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Hmm.. I wonder why the Borg never perfected cloning technology? maybe they always want new "minds" to their Collective, and clones would effectively contribute nothing?
Well first off the Borg wouldn't perfect cloning technology, they'd have to steal it from someone else. The Borg don't create, innovate, or advance. They assimilate. Secondly, if they just started cloning drones and not bothering to assimilate new species and individuals how do they advance their culture?
Yhea, I think point #2 is like my suggestion. Ultimately, they don't necessarely want new drones, they want new minds.

And I would guess the Borg could put together A + B = C. Meaning that after assimilating specie X, which has perfect cloning technology but with problems P. And then, they assimlate specie Y, which hasn't developped cloning, but already figured out a way around P.

I am sure the Borg's technology amounts to more than the sum of its parts. Maybe it doesn't develop anything on its own, but it sure end up with more than the mere sum of assimilated technologies. They probably put toys together.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Every statement I've heard in regards to their style is pure assimilation, no creativity. Some of them from Seven who would probably qualify as the best source of Borg info in the galaxy.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:Every statement I've heard in regards to their style is pure assimilation, no creativity. Some of them from Seven who would probably qualify as the best source of Borg info in the galaxy.
So, you think the Borg can design nothing?

So, their ships design have been designed by another specie, which they simply assimilated and reproduced?

And the Borg isn't all about assimilation, they also are about adapation.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:So, you think the Borg can design nothing?
Species 8472. The Borg were getting their asses handed to them and had to bum tech off Voyager to stop the slaughter. Seven of Nine and others have all stated that the Borg do not create, they consume.
So, their ships design have been designed by another specie, which they simply assimilated and reproduced?
Maybe, or its a design the Borg created way back before they solidified into their current methodologies.
Again, Species 8472. They can adapt to things they have happen to them and have the knowledge to already deal with. When confronted with a new threat they simply cannot adapt to it because they don't have the answer already tucked away.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:
Again, Species 8472. They can adapt to things they have happen to them and have the knowledge to already deal with. When confronted with a new threat they simply cannot adapt to it because they don't have the answer already tucked away.
I don't know about that. I mean, yhea, their main modus operandi is assimilation. But it is a big leap to actually claim that they have no innovation of any kind. After all, this is one big frakking hivemind, with occasional individuals (like the Queen) to drive them around and try to figure out things when the hivemind is caught in a deadlock.

They had just 0 data on 8472. Nada, zing, nothing. Because of different alien biology, they couldn't come up with a proper parade.

But it doesn't mean they can't play around with the technologies they know intrinsicly. After all, they have prototypes when they are trying out new technologies..

(no?)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

VOY had no more info on 8472 than the Borg had, yet they were able to come up with a bioweapon to kill them pretty quickly with nowhere near the Borg's resources. Nor did their tactics progress past their standard "send Cubes, shoot" which clearly wasn't working.
Hell, they've still to figure out that they could wipe out Starfleet if they just sent more than one Cube.

Personally I like to think that the big problem with the Borg is that they've been too successful at assimilating people. They've assimilated so many individuals into the Collective that it's become a hinderance to them. It's like a computer trying to run a dozen different programs at once - everything just slows down to a crawl. Similarly, the Collective just lacks the processing power necessary to properly oversee the actions of the billions or more drones it controls.

If that is indeed the case, it would explain a lot of the odd and seemingly counter-productive behaviour of the Borg. Such as how they don't react to intruders on their ship unless they start causing damage - everything (and the drones themselves) are simply running on automatic, it's only when damage is caused that intruders get bumped up in priority.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"