Should Hugh Have Been Used To Destroy The Borg?

The Next Generation
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Should Hugh Have Been Used To Destroy The Borg?

Post by Praeothmin »

The Borg do indeed look like a walking version of Windows Vista.
Too big, too expended for its own good, and always stopping actions that would help it become better:
Borg Consciousness: "Are you sure you want to assimilate Uber-Race X?"
Borg: "Yes"
Borg Consciousness: "Are you really sure? Uber-Race X will modify important features in Borg Bios and Borg folder Borg 32!"
Borg: "Yes, we want to assimilate!"
Borg Consciousness: "We cannot allow you to proceed, as we do not recognize the life signature of Uber-Race X! If you wish to continue with the assimilation, please contact your local Consciousness administrator!"
Borg: "Oh, fuck off!" :P
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Praeothmin wrote:The Borg do indeed look like a walking version of Windows Vista.
Too big, too expended for its own good, and always stopping actions that would help it become better:
Borg Consciousness: "Are you sure you want to assimilate Uber-Race X?"
Borg: "Yes"
Borg Consciousness: "Are you really sure? Uber-Race X will modify important features in Borg Bios and Borg folder Borg 32!"
Borg: "Yes, we want to assimilate!"
Borg Consciousness: "We cannot allow you to proceed, as we do not recognize the life signature of Uber-Race X! If you wish to continue with the assimilation, please contact your local Consciousness administrator!"
Borg: "Oh, f**k off!" :P
Now that you say that, the plot of Independance Day would have made a lot more sense if, rather than implanting a virus, Jeff Goldblum had installed Windows Vista on the aliens starship's main network.

Much more believable.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Unimatrix Zero I think mentioned that. It was never seen, but an assimilated Klingon officer talked about it.
I thought they showed the three BoP's in the attack run?
3 Birds of Prey <<<<<<<<<< 40 Federation Starships

I really don't see what they though they'd achieve with that...

Just one Bird of Prey destroyed the Federation flagship. Martok's Bird of Prey succesfully engaged and destroyed several Jem'Hadar attack bugs on once. A force of 3 Birds is not an insignificant force.......but I'd be willing to bet that was only one attack wing. Lord knows the Klingons hate missing a hopeless battle.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well Ferengi did board the flagship with I think two or three BoPs too.

I agree it may have been part of a wing of three ships or the first or last three ships to attack the Borg.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Mark wrote:Just one Bird of Prey destroyed the Federation flagship.
Well, to be fair, the single BoP attacked, for all intents and purpose, and unshielded ship, Commanded by Riker, helmed by Deanna, and it took 20 hits before the Warp Core breached...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Praeothmin wrote:
Well, to be fair, the single BoP attacked, for all intents and purpose, and unshielded ship, Commanded by Riker, helmed by Deanna, and it took 20 hits before the Warp Core breached...

Granted, but the point is to establish the ability of the BoP, not to bag on the GCS, again.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mark wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:

Granted, but the point is to establish the ability of the BoP, not to bag on the GCS, again.
They effectively sneak-attacked the Enterprise. Damaged ships are usually less effective in battle, so being able to punch them hard nonstop would limit the Enterprise's defensive abilities.

I think that, ultimately, an intelligent and resourceful starship captain can defeat a more powerful starship, if he has very intelligent tactic. It's not always a battle of numbers. Lursa and B'Tor (spelling?) were probably very effective Starship commanders, to have survived that long...

... or maybe not. I actually don't know.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Their "trick" with shields allowed them a first strike against the Enterprise and to bypass their shields with follow up shots.

The Enterprise still had some small protection from its HD armor, as well as fully functional weapons. The first shot didn't cripple it. They returned fire with phasers which the BoPs shields deflected.

Not saying a BoP is more powerful, but it was in its element. The GCS was designed as an all around space superiority ship, for defense, speed, exploration, research, diplomatic functions, and all kinds of other good stuff.

A BoP was designed for one thing. Battle.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mark wrote:Their "trick" with shields allowed them a first strike against the Enterprise and to bypass their shields with follow up shots.

The Enterprise still had some small protection from its HD armor, as well as fully functional weapons. The first shot didn't cripple it. They returned fire with phasers which the BoPs shields deflected.

Not saying a BoP is more powerful, but it was in its element. The GCS was designed as an all around space superiority ship, for defense, speed, exploration, research, diplomatic functions, and all kinds of other good stuff.

A BoP was designed for one thing. Battle.
The BoP was a 20-yr old model. Riker should looked at Worf and said, "Mr Worf, there is a spot on the screen. Remove it." Followed by Worf cutting loose similar to how they fought the Husnock ship. Afterwards, Worf goes around with a big grin since he just killed the Duros sisters.

Now if they had a pair of extra Cruisers under cloak, and were communicating the frequency exploit to them, that would have made more sense.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Granted. However, the point I'm trying to make is that a BoP is not a useless POS in battle. It is an attack ship and thus a force of three of them shouldn't be so easily dismissed as a joke.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

You have to think of the BoP as perfect for Klingon tactics. Hit very fast, very hard, and then go home getting pissed about it. They operate much like ground attack fighters, lightning quick passes unloading every bit of dakka they have in their arsenal then coming around for another pass. In this sense, they are also very good frigate "dogfighters" as frigates and small size ships seem to have mini "dogfights" between each other all through the dominion war. The BoP is perfect for that, a tiny hull with a bloody powerful weapons fit for its size.

Interestingly enough, I think the Galor would also be a pretty damn good dogfighter if it were smaller and more maneuverable.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Reliant121 wrote:Interestingly enough, I think the Galor would also be a pretty damn good dogfighter if it were smaller and more maneuverable.
I always saw the Galor as a very effective weapon platform with powerful firing arcs that work better in groups to either cover the most angles or focus firepower.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think we are all agreed on this site that the Galor is probably the most practical ship design in the entirety of trek. But its not without its shortcomings. Lack of speed, lack of shown torpedo armament, poor sensors. These are mainly shortcomings of the races technology and lack of resources, than they are of design. If the Galor was designed, say with Federation technology it would undoubtedly be one of the best designs.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Reliant121 wrote:I think we are all agreed on this site that the Galor is probably the most practical ship design in the entirety of trek. But its not without its shortcomings. Lack of speed, lack of shown torpedo armament, poor sensors. These are mainly shortcomings of the races technology and lack of resources, than they are of design. If the Galor was designed, say with Federation technology it would undoubtedly be one of the best designs.
The Federation/Cardassian alliance contemplated now makes a lot more sense.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:The Federation/Cardassian alliance contemplated now makes a lot more sense.
Do you mean after the Dominion War? I'd figure it as the Cardassians looking at their empire, and realizing they are in serious trouble for remaining a viable empire vs other empires (or other slave races) fighting over the scraps. So they need powerful outside help. They can choose between the Klingons, the Romulans, or the Federation, as the others are likely too small to help. They definitely don't want the Klingons in charge, the Romulans aren't wanted either, so they have to turn to the Federation.

They pretty much need help, and the Federation is the best choice available.

Hopefully, the Federation makes the Cardassians give up a few of their slave races, or incorporate them into the new government.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)