SFDebris : The Best of Both Worlds

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris : The Best of Both Worlds

Post by Captain Seafort »

BigJKU316 wrote:Why was British Naval Aviation not nearly on the level of Japanese or American during WWII?
Three reasons, none of which have anything to do with problems with senior officers.

1) Until 1937 the Fleet Air Arm was a branch of the RAF. This meant that all procurement came of of the Air Staff budget, who were far more interested in UK Air Defence and the Strategic Bomber force than the requirements of fleet aviation. The result was that the FAA got pretty gash equipment - Skuas were great aircraft in their day, but they were trying to do too many jobs, and were out of date by the time the war came along. Stringbags were obsolete from the start - it was only the quality of the aircrew that allowed them to pull off what they did.

2) We were too good too early. That meant that while the Royal Navy of the 1920s had the best carrier strike force in the world by a huge margin, by the late thirties we were relying on cruiser and battleship refits that didn't have the capacity of the US and Japanese big refits and purpose-built ships. The Ark was out only decent carrier until the I-class started being commissioned in decent numbers, by which time we'd dropped behind in practical experience. We still built by far the best carriers of the war.

3) Experience. Because of the scale of the Pacific, carrier aircraft were a vital part of naval warfare to an extent that didn't exist in Europe. In particular, air support could usually be provided by land-based aircraft, which meant an entirely different philosophy, largely built around providing air cover for the fleet. The US was helped by Pearl Harbour, as it wiped out the battleline that the Pacific Fleet was built around, and forced a complete change of operational emphasis onto air power. There had certainly been individuals who had been pushing air power, but that was the case here as well - Somerville in particular. They wouldn't have got a look in had Pearl not happened. Incidentally, don't forget where the Japanese got the idea for Pearl Harbour from.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
BigJKU316 wrote:Why was British Naval Aviation not nearly on the level of Japanese or American during WWII?
Three reasons, none of which have anything to do with problems with senior officers.

1) Until 1937 the Fleet Air Arm was a branch of the RAF. This meant that all procurement came of of the Air Staff budget, who were far more interested in UK Air Defence and the Strategic Bomber force than the requirements of fleet aviation. The result was that the FAA got pretty gash equipment - Skuas were great aircraft in their day, but they were trying to do too many jobs, and were out of date by the time the war came along. Stringbags were obsolete from the start - it was only the quality of the aircrew that allowed them to pull off what they did.
This was a cause of many technical issues, on that I will agree (and I should have stated more clearly that it was the overall way in which the RN perceived and dealt with airpower issues both offensive and defensive). However it also stripped the RN of pretty much all of its officers with practical experience of actually flying off of carriers and hobbled the development of carrier doctrine (both offensive and defensive) within the Royal Navy.

This manifested itself in a number of manners but I will stick to one to keep this somewhat brief.

In 1926 the Imperial Defense Committee on Anti-Aircraft Defense met to determine the most likely method of attacking ships with aircraft and suggest solutions. It concluded that aircraft could only do so by flying straight and level. This view was re-stated by the Naval Anti-Aircraft Gunnery Com in 1931.

Setting aside the failure to develop divebombers if we want to place blame with the RAF the RN is still open to criticism that its highest levels accepted this position as correct when it clearly was at odds with other powers. Both the Japanese and United States focused on the Dive Bomber from the 1920's on as a primary means of hitting ships underway from the air (along with torpedo bombers). Very little of this was a secret.

The lack of really experienced voices in naval aviation within these groups led to this problem. Within the RAF postings to the FAA were hardly the route to quick advancement. Within the RN very few had practical experience trying to hit a ship with a bomb from an airplane.

This lack of vision by its senior leaders in these two meetings led directly to the development of HACS (High Angle Control System) which was the RN's primary fire control system for anti-aircraft fire at the outset of the war. It was designed to deal with one threat, that of the level flying, high-altitude bomber.

In essence they built a system that could not compute and correct for change of altitude, speed and course. If the target was moving in a nice flat, straight line at a constant speed it would work fine. But against dive bombers it was next to useless. Additionally the guns on the vast majority of ships could not even elevate high enough to engage dive bombers in terminal dives anyway. This was in contrast the the US Mk. 37 FCS which was fully tachymetric and could handle changes in all three of those directions.

Now the people in the British military are not stupid. There were likely plenty of people with practical experience that could have told you that the most likely threat to ships would be dive bombers rather than level bombers. After all, the UK invented dive bombing. But not enough of these people got into positions of power to make a difference. As a consequence RN ships went ot sea with some of the worst Anti-Aircraft capabilities in the world. It was not that they could not build a better system, they just did not have people around to tell them they were building the wrong damn thing.

This is not the same as allowing officers to just sit in positions, clogging up advancement opportunities for younger minds, but the stripping off of aviators from the RN to the RAF (where they were bastard children and not listened too) had the same net effect. You had no one who properly understood and had practical experience with the threat around at a high enough level to force a correct assessment, and you got HACS as a result.

That is the short term danger of allowing officers to sit on spots if there is a dramatic change in military tactics and technology over say a 10-20 year period. Many of the most senior are not likely to have as good of a grasp on it as those working their way up who have practical experience with the threat and countering it.
We were too good too early. That meant that while the Royal Navy of the 1920s had the best carrier strike force in the world by a huge margin, by the late thirties we were relying on cruiser and battleship refits that didn't have the capacity of the US and Japanese big refits and purpose-built ships. The Ark was out only decent carrier until the I-class started being commissioned in decent numbers, by which time we'd dropped behind in practical experience. We still built by far the best carriers of the war.
Now we are likely way off topic but what the heck. I am always up for a naval history discussion.

My presumption is that you are refering to the debate between armored flight decks and unarmored flight decks. Your conclusion is quite common but does not really stand up to a more detailed analysis of what did in fact happen with the ships in questions.

Formidable and Illustrious were written off due to war damage. The first had center shaft damage which will get any ship in any era for the most part.

Illustrious is a different case. She had an aircraft handling accident and burned within her hanger deck, which deformed the hull of the ship too badly to continue. This illustrated the main drawback of the enclosed, armored hanger deck in which the flight deck was the strength deck of the ship and it would rear its head a few more times for this type of design.

The same thing would get the Indomitable after the war, a fire in the hanger deck would distort the hull, rending the ship beyond repair.

The ships had an unexpected issue. The void of the enclosed hanger deck tended to deform when being hit. As the ships took damage their hull structures twisted beyond reasonable repair efforts. This, coupled with the known drawbacks of smaller air-groups, lower ceilings in the hanger (14 feet in the last three I types limited what they could carry as far as aircraft and meant the most modern British carriers could not carry the F4U, which was their best fighter option at that time) and most importantly the small size of lifts and complete lack of deck edge lifts (which limited the ability to rapidly sortie planes compared to US designs) really limited the utility of British carriers both at the end of WWII and in the post-war period.

Most importantly they really gained very little from the armored flight decks to begin with. The bombs they were designed to stop were far smaller than those in use by the time of WWII so they would do little good there. The primary difference is that it severly limited air group size, and thus made them much less of an offensive threat.

The British admitted as much by desigining their last WWII era carriers along the lines of an enlarged Essex with the Malta Class, which had the hanger deck as the strength deck where the majority of the armor was carried in an effort to operate a larger group of planes and avoid the kind of crippling damage dealt to the open box hanger structure necessitated by having the flight deck be the strength deck of a ship.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

BigJKU316 wrote:Setting aside the failure to develop divebombers
I'm sure the crew of the Koenigsberg would be delighted to know that the aircraft that sank them didn't exist. Skuas were nowhere near as good as other dive bombers, mainly because they combined the role with fighters, but they were useful. The Barracuda was also designed with dive bombing capability, and proved at least somewhat effective against Tirpitz.
This lack of vision by its senior leaders in these two meetings led directly to the development of HACS (High Angle Control System) which was the RN's primary fire control system for anti-aircraft fire at the outset of the war. It was designed to deal with one threat, that of the level flying, high-altitude bomber.
True, we had shit AAA. So did the US Navy, until it was taught by hard experience that a couple of dozen 1.1" guns won't stop a determined attack.
My presumption is that you are refering to the debate between armored flight decks and unarmored flight decks. Your conclusion is quite common but does not really stand up to a more detailed analysis of what did in fact happen with the ships in questions.
Franklin took a couple of 500lb bombs and a couple of Kamikazes, lost 900 people, and was never recommissioned. An armoured carrier would have been back in service in day.
*snip problems*
I'm well aware of the limited air groups (in terms of both size and quantity), and the problems with distorted frames. So what? The US philosophy was based on massive air groups at the cost of leaving the carriers vulnerable to crippling damage from bombs coming through the flight deck (not helped by their shite avgas arrangements). RN philosophy was to keep the carriers operational and while serious damage could knock them out, such as the 1000lb AP hits Illustrious took in the Med, the philosophy was by and large successful.
Most importantly they really gained very little from the armored flight decks to begin with.
Other than being back in service within hours after hits that sent US carriers home for repairs for six months.
The bombs they were designed to stop were far smaller than those in use by the time of WWII so they would do little good there.
They were certainly hit hard several times, but an Essex would have been just as badly damaged by 1000lb AP bombs.
The British admitted as much by desigining their last WWII era carriers along the lines of an enlarged Essex with the Malta Class, which had the hanger deck as the strength deck where the majority of the armor was carried in an effort to operate a larger group of planes and avoid the kind of crippling damage dealt to the open box hanger structure necessitated by having the flight deck be the strength deck of a ship.
Do you have any evidence that avoiding that sort of distortion was a main reason for the final version of the Malta design? My understanding was that it was solely to increase the air group, as they couldn't get it as big as they wanted with the earlier armoured flight deck designs.

The overall impression I get is that a) you've been overly influenced by NavWeaps and b) you're looking too much at the carriers' longer-term service history and not enough at the vast superiority they demonstrated during the Okinawa operation. Certainly, a big air group is a good thing, and the vulnerability to serious hangar fires is a problem (although I'd like to see how well any carrier would do in that situation) but if you can keep out splinters, and force the enemy to use heavy AP bombs to inflict serious damage, then you can keep that smaller air wing in service in situations when an Essex would be limping home.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

JKU - spare yourself. Seafort will always find a way to spin a point, correct or not, into some tangential display of British superiority (real or imagined.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Aye, it seems odd that they don't just let people stay were they're happy. Do many militaries do this, or is it mostly an American phenomenon?

It would also seem to imply that some people are just allowed rise through the ranks until they finally hit a level where they've no real grasp on what they're doing, and are then kicked out. Which seems a rather odd way of doing things.
Hopefully what is going on is that an Ensign (O-1) is being evaluated to see how well they do an O-2's job. If the Ensign shows they can do an O-2's job well enough, they are promoted.

So instead of doing well at their current level, being promoted, then trying to do the new job, most militaries try to reverse the last two parts. he officer has to do their current job well enough, show they can do the next level job, and then they get promoted if they are better than their peers.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mikey wrote:JKU - spare yourself. Seafort will always find a way to spin a point, correct or not, into some tangential display of British superiority (real or imagined.)
This is a subject on which much smarter people than myself (and presumably Seafort) have disagreed for years so there is plenty of room for discussion here. The British did a lot of stuff with carriers very well and it is hard to sort out what the RAF caused to go bad and what bad decisions happened outside of that debacle so I don't see his view as being biased.

It is just different. But this is a much debated subject so that is to be expected.

Anyway, I just brought it up as a why you want officers with a wide range of experience constantly moving up through the ranks and forced out of comfort zones. Making a bunch of blackshoes take flight trianing did not get you the best pilots but helped the USN a bunch in the end. That was the real point. The rest of this is just arguing history which while fun, has little to do with the trek question at hand.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

So it's wildly off topic. Congratulations - your first TR-116. :)

Regarding the general point of the logic at hand, while I can see where you're coming from, I don't see how the issue of the RN having few aviation-trained flag officers is the problem. The key issue was one of mobility/firepower (the US carriers) vs mobility/protection (the RN). While we can argue all day as to which was better, I don't see how it's affected by the type of experience of the various senior officers, especially as US carrier doctrine was largely made up on the hoof after they were forced to take the brunt of the fighting after Pearl.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I do wonder what would've happened if they killed off Picard. Hmm, ideas...
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Captain Seafort wrote:So it's wildly off topic. Congratulations - your first TR-116. :)

Regarding the general point of the logic at hand, while I can see where you're coming from, I don't see how the issue of the RN having few aviation-trained flag officers is the problem. The key issue was one of mobility/firepower (the US carriers) vs mobility/protection (the RN). While we can argue all day as to which was better, I don't see how it's affected by the type of experience of the various senior officers, especially as US carrier doctrine was largely made up on the hoof after they were forced to take the brunt of the fighting after Pearl.
To be fair it was one smallish annecdote in my initial post on the subject of officer promotions that just happened to be the first that jumped into my head. In retrospect it probably would have been simpler to illustrate how that process finally flushed the Bomber Barons from SAC and allowed the rise of the modern USAF in the 1980's. But hindsight is 20/20.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

BigJKU316 wrote:To be fair it was one smallish annecdote in my initial post on the subject of officer promotions that just happened to be the first that jumped into my head. In retrospect it probably would have been simpler to illustrate how that process finally flushed the Bomber Barons from SAC and allowed the rise of the modern USAF in the 1980's. But hindsight is 20/20.
That's not something I'm at all familiar with, but try raising the subject on SDN and be prepared for a monumental shitstorm on the subject of the utility of manned bombers.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I do wonder what would've happened if they killed off Picard. Hmm, ideas...
Locutus would have made a good recurring nemesis.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Franklin took a couple of 500lb bombs and a couple of Kamikazes, lost 900 people, and was never recommissioned. An armoured carrier would have been back in service in day.
Umm, Big Ben, which took 22 hits from a mix of 500 and 1000 pound bombs, a pair of torps and six kamikazes? I take it there was a RN carrier that took said damage then that and not only survived as the Big Ben did? Not only continued to operate her fighter screen (what was left of it) as the Big Ben did. But also made it back to port and survived the war, which Big Ben did.

Not to start up the debate again but I do have an honest question (as its more of me wanting to know why vs saying you're wrong. Yes I know that's hard to believe coming from me but you'll get over it.). What RN carrier took that much damage and returned to service in a day?

Big E is also important to look at. She's not only the most decorated Carrier of the war, but the most decorated ship of the war. Twenty major engagements and still made it through the war.

For me, it seems silly to say the RN produced the superior ship when both the "Greatest surviving carrier" and "Greatest fighting carrier" were USN.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Umm, Big Ben, which took 22 hits from a mix of 500 and 1000 pound bombs, a pair of torps and six kamikazes?
Where on Earth are you getting those numbers from? Franklin was hit by a couple of 500lb bombs which started fires among the aircraft on deck and in the hanger. That's it. The fact that she survived is a testament to how well built the Essexes were, but an armoured carrier would simply have shrugged off the hits.
What RN carrier took that much damage and returned to service in a day?
The worst hit were Illustrious (hit by 8 500lb and 1000lb bombs in June 1941, and took six months to repair) and Formidable (hit by two 1000kg bombs in May '41, and again took six months to repair). Neither of them, however, suffered as much physical damage as either Franklin or Bunker Hill, as far as I'm aware. There's no question that those two ships represent the greatest feats of damage control I'm aware of.
Big E is also important to look at. She's not only the most decorated Carrier of the war, but the most decorated ship of the war. Twenty major engagements and still made it through the war.
No question about that. I'd dispute her status as the greatest warship to be involved in the war, but Warspite had Jutland to her name already, and her WW2 record, while excellent, doesn't match up to Enterprise.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Where on Earth are you getting those numbers from? Franklin was hit by a couple of 500lb bombs which started fires among the aircraft on deck and in the hanger. That's it. The fact that she survived is a testament to how well built the Essexes were, but an armoured carrier would simply have shrugged off the hits.
Your example below says that rather then shrug off the hits, they required a good bit of refit.

As to the Big Ben, IIRC, that was her total wartime damage (not counting random bullets).
Captain Seafort wrote:The worst hit were Illustrious (hit by 8 500lb and 1000lb bombs in June 1941, and took six months to repair) and Formidable (hit by two 1000kg bombs in May '41, and again took six months to repair). Neither of them, however, suffered as much physical damage as either Franklin or Bunker Hill, as far as I'm aware. There's no question that those two ships represent the greatest feats of damage control I'm aware of.
Captain Seafort wrote:No question about that. I'd dispute her status as the greatest warship to be involved in the war, but Warspite had Jutland to her name already, and her WW2 record, while excellent, doesn't match up to Enterprise.
Did any ships from any navy match the record of the Big E by the end of the war?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Your example below says that rather then shrug off the hits, they required a good bit of refit.
The serious damage was inflicted by big AP bombs, striking from high altitude. They could and did shrug off the type of attack that nearly sank Franklin - small bombs dropped by a Kamikaze on its run in.
As to the Big Ben, IIRC, that was her total wartime damage (not counting random bullets).
Right ho. I'm specifically talking about the attack on 19 March 1945, when she nearly sank.
Did any ships from any navy match the record of the Big E by the end of the war?
As far as I'm aware the closest was Warspite with 13 battle honours. Even if you only count the strategically critical battles, Warspite had three (2nd Narvik, Calabria and Matapan) to Enterprise's four (MIdway, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz, Philippine Sea).