SFDebris : The Best of Both Worlds

The Next Generation
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris : The Best of Both Worlds

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:The serious damage was inflicted by big AP bombs, striking from high altitude. They could and did shrug off the type of attack that nearly sank Franklin - small bombs dropped by a Kamikaze on its run in.
For myself, the key term is "nearly" rather then "did". Though I guess this comes down to opinion over armor vs cap.
Right ho. I'm specifically talking about the attack on 19 March 1945, when she nearly sank.
Umm, yeah... to be honest I can't recall the details of that day so I'll take your word for effect. However, wouldn't all the damage prior have played a role?
As far as I'm aware the closest was Warspite with 13 battle honours. Even if you only count the strategically critical battles, Warspite had three (2nd Narvik, Calabria and Matapan) to Enterprise's four (MIdway, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz, Philippine Sea).
Big E must have pulled the short straw for the battle stations... :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:For myself, the key term is "nearly" rather then "did". Though I guess this comes down to opinion over armor vs cap.
The "nearly" was down to solid construction and good damage control - she was CTL'd.
Umm, yeah... to be honest I can't recall the details of that day so I'll take your word for effect. However, wouldn't all the damage prior have played a role?
No. She was only on station for four days before she was hit, having just got back from several months of repair work after her previous serious damage.
Big E must have pulled the short straw for the battle stations... :lol:
Not so much the short straw as the only straw - at Midway and Santa Cruz the entire operational carrier force was present, and at Eastern Solomons two of the three (Wasp had been detached the previous day to refuel).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:The "nearly" was down to solid construction and good damage control - she was CTL'd.
Must have been a hell of a hull.
Captain Seafort wrote:No. She was only on station for four days before she was hit, having just got back from several months of repair work after her previous serious damage.
Understood.
Captain Seafort wrote:Not so much the short straw as the only straw - at Midway and Santa Cruz the entire operational carrier force was present, and at Eastern Solomons two of the three (Wasp had been detached the previous day to refuel).
Still, when there was a battle to be fought. Big E was always there to do the fighting. Bet the crew was bucking for some R&R... :lol:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:The "nearly" was down to solid construction and good damage control - she was CTL'd.
Must have been a hell of a hull.
Fortunately, while almost the entire aft half of the hull was gutted, the main armoured deck held, and the machinery was undamaged. Nonetheless, I'm not sure whether the fact she stayed afloat is more attributable to her construction or her crew.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Fortunately, while almost the entire aft half of the hull was gutted, the main armoured deck held, and the machinery was undamaged. Nonetheless, I'm not sure whether the fact she stayed afloat is more attributable to her construction or her crew.
Maybe it was a fair balance between a fine ship and a fine crew.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Still, when there was a battle to be fought. Big E was always there to do the fighting.
Maybe Trek was trying to make a point... oh you're talking about the US carrier. :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

stitch626 wrote:
Still, when there was a battle to be fought. Big E was always there to do the fighting.
Maybe Trek was trying to make a point... oh you're talking about the US carrier. :mrgreen:
:whack:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

We DID almost end up with Kirk and co. fighting evil in the USS Yorktown. Not as noble sounding I'd say :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, Enterprise sounds much better.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"