SFDebris : The Best of Both Worlds

Post by Deepcrush »

Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: SFDebris : The Best of Both Worlds

Post by Nutso »

Was it Rick Berman who got rid of scene-driving, tension-building music?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yes. He fired the guy who did the BoBW music shortly after he won an award for that exact score. Apparently Berman feels that background music should be quite generic, so as not to stand out too much.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Yes. He fired the guy who did the BoBW music shortly after he won an award for that exact score. Apparently Berman feels that background music should be quite generic, so as not to stand out too much.
In that regard, he's a bloomin' idiot.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

A great review for a great episode.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Yes. He fired the guy who did the BoBW music shortly after he won an award for that exact score. Apparently Berman feels that background music should be quite generic, so as not to stand out too much.
I never got that. I always felt that music can enhance the scene if done properly.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:
I never got that. I always felt that music can enhance the scene if done properly.
Aye. Say whatever else you will about it but the nBSG series does that really, really well. So well in fact that the score became part of the plot
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

McAvoy wrote:
Its important to remember this is TNG so things that work are more often then not thrown away.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I gotta admit. one of the saddest scenes in ST for me was that shot of the E-D flying past the graveyard of Wolf 359.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Pretty good review, although not Chuck's best.

1) Basic facts. The UK did not get a centre-left government after the Cold War. The Tories won the '92 general election, stayed in power for another five years, and were then beaten by a centre-right Labour. I'm not qualified to comment on whether Clinton was as right-wing as the current Democratic Party, but I wouldn't be surprised.

2) While it's understandable that he'd concentrate on the Riker-Shelby arguments specifically, I think he missed an opportunity to comment on the broader issue of who's better qualified to comment on the Borg. The individual who's fought them, seen their handiwork at close range twice, and been aboard their ships, or the one who's sole job for the past year or more has been studying them in detail, going over every minute detail that the Enterprise's sensors collected during the J-25 encounter, while the aim of developing a defence against them.

3)The natural conclusion to the set up was to either remove Picard from command and give Riker the ship, or to keep Picard and give Riker the Melbourne. Hitting the reset button destroyed the exceptionally good character development Riker had got over the two episodes and began his spiral down to losing the Enterprise to a bunch of Ferengi in "Rascals" and to an obsolete Klingon heap of junk in "Generations" because he wouldn't or couldn't fight the ship effectively. While this was commented on in passing, I think it deserved a lot more.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Much as I liked Riker, would TNG have been a better show had Riker left after Best of Both Worlds, and Data made 1st Officer? Him being First Officer for so long seemed a little off to me, especially as he passed up his own command before he even joined the Enterprises crew.

I guess its a common problem with all the series - look at how long the orignal crew kept their posts - although Spock and Scotty did make Captain, and Chekov left for a time. I'd always assumed that the crew were given to the Enterprise A as a reward for saving Earth, just as Kirk was reduced to Captain and given Command.

Voyager at least had the excuse of the ship being stranded, with less opportunity for crew advancement, though Kim was passed over whilst Paris was promoted, demoted and repromoted.

The only series that got this aspect right I thought was DS9. Sisko made Captain. Dax was given command of the Defiant after Sisko became more heavily involved the stategic elements of the Dominion War. Nog rose quite quickly through the ranks, and rightly so - He was a dedicated little bugger with quite a lot of experience for his few years in Starfleet, if I was Sisko I'd be wanting the people I know and trust with me. Kira made General. Worf was promoted when he joined halfway through the show. Pretty much all the characters grew nicely over the series.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:Much as I liked Riker, would TNG have been a better show had Riker left after Best of Both Worlds, and Data made 1st Officer? Him being First Officer for so long seemed a little off to me, especially as he passed up his own command before he even joined the Enterprises crew.
The crew remaining the same for so long was downright idiotic - 16 years with no promotions at all for Picard, Riker, Data and Crusher, only one for Troi and two for Worf and La Forge.
I guess its a common problem with all the series - look at how long the orignal crew kept their posts - although Spock and Scotty did make Captain, and Chekov left for a time. I'd always assumed that the crew were given to the Enterprise A as a reward for saving Earth, just as Kirk was reduced to Captain and given Command.
The original bunch weren't too bad. You'd expect them to stay pretty much the same during the original mission, after which there were a shed load of promotions, including the top three leaving the ship entirely - Kirk to the Admiralty and Spock and McCoy retiring. Prior to STII Kirk had, IIRC, been promoted again and moved post, as had the crew - most of them to the teaching staff of the Academy and Chekhov to the Reliant. It was only by ST5, when they were still together despite having three Captains on the ship that it got silly, and even then it was slightly mitigated by send Sulu off to command the Excelsior.
The only series that got this aspect right I thought was DS9.
It was good that most of them got promotions (poor old Miles got nothing), but they shouldn't have kept the same postings for the entire run. Even the extras Sisko and Dax got were in addition to their existing duties.
Kira made General. Worf was promoted when he joined halfway through the show.
Wrong on both counts - Kira only reached Colonel, and Worf had already been promoted in Generations.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Captain Seafort wrote:Wrong on both counts - Kira only reached Colonel, and Worf had already been promoted in Generations.
Ah yes, it was Colonel. Didn't Worf get a shiny new uniform at the end of Way of the Warrior though?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:Ah yes, it was Colonel. Didn't Worf get a shiny new uniform at the end of Way of the Warrior though?
Yes, but he simply moved from ops to command branch - he stayed a Lt Commander.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Well Worf not being promoted further in DS9 is understandable, he was only in half the series, and he was disciplined for letting that defector get captured in order to save Dax.

I dunno, is it possible to accurately portray character promotions in a series whilst still keeping your main characters around?