Can the Enterprise reverse?

The Next Generation
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Can the Enterprise reverse?

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Seafort wrote:Off the top of my head, the Miranda, Constellation, and every alien ship we've seen.
If you look at any of the Okudagrahms in the Reliant, you can see an internal deflector.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:If you look at any of the Okudagrahms in the Reliant, you can see an internal deflector.
Have you got a screenshot? I don't remember any Okudagrams of the Reliant, and the only MSD Memory Alpha has is a low-resolution external diagram of the Brattain.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'll try to find it... maybe they have TWOK on youtube.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

While I don't think we've ever seen canon evidence for it, I'd always assumed ships could have an internal deflector dish. For whatever reason, the UFP seems to prefer external dishes, while most other races prefer internal dishes. It's possible that an external dish is more effecient, and thus possibly gives the ship a speed boost, while being obviously a lot more vulnerable to enemy fire.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic wrote:While I don't think we've ever seen canon evidence for it, I'd always assumed ships could have an internal deflector dish. For whatever reason, the UFP seems to prefer external dishes, while most other races prefer internal dishes. It's possible that an external dish is more effecient, and thus possibly gives the ship a speed boost, while being obviously a lot more vulnerable to enemy fire.
I always assumed starfleet had exterior deflectors because of all the fancy things their engineers know how to turn one into or use in amazing new ways.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Right, judging by the horrible doom that seems to be precipitated by having no nav deflector, it was always an easy presumption that the ships that didn't have one outside, had one inside.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lighthawk wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:While I don't think we've ever seen canon evidence for it, I'd always assumed ships could have an internal deflector dish. For whatever reason, the UFP seems to prefer external dishes, while most other races prefer internal dishes. It's possible that an external dish is more effecient, and thus possibly gives the ship a speed boost, while being obviously a lot more vulnerable to enemy fire.
I always assumed starfleet had exterior deflectors because of all the fancy things their engineers know how to turn one into or use in amazing new ways.
Not sure why that would preclude them from being internal as well? :?

I figured it was like radar, many radar dishes are enclosed, especially on jet fighters, or those hexagonal domes you see.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Aren't deflector dishes made by Victorinox? Hence their many uses.

:P
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:
Not sure why that would preclude them from being internal as well? :?
So when they turn it into a giant directional energy weapon it doesn't have to blast it's way through several bulkheads of course.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE - "Only going forward because we can't find reverse."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Vic wrote:Aren't deflector dishes made by Victorinox? Hence their many uses.

:P
:lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer