Can the Enterprise reverse?

The Next Generation
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Can the Enterprise reverse?

Post by Atekimogus »

Inspired by the can the Enterprise reverse in impulse topic obviously but can the Enterprise achieve warp flying backwards?

During TOS they never do much maneuvering and during Balance of Terror for example she didn't need to turn around to escape the plasma torpedo, all she did was seemingly fly backwards with warpspeed.

If it is just a question of how to manipulate the warp field is there a reason why this shouldn't be possible?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Can the Enterprise reverse?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's an interesting question alright. We've never seen any ship flying backwards at warp speeds. Maybe the shape and configuration of the nacelles have something to do with it?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There certainly seems to be concern over how the nacelle configuration and hull shape interact with the warp field.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:Inspired by the can the Enterprise reverse in impulse topic obviously but can the Enterprise achieve warp flying backwards?

During TOS they never do much maneuvering and during Balance of Terror for example she didn't need to turn around to escape the plasma torpedo, all she did was seemingly fly backwards with warpspeed.
Huh? This sounds like you're asking "can the E-nil do what the E-nil did in BoT?" You answered the question immediately after asking it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Captain Seafort wrote: Huh? This sounds like you're asking "can the E-nil do what the E-nil did in BoT?" You answered the question immediately after asking it.
Well, you see, altough to me it did appear indeed that way I am by no means sure that is what really happened. I am not really sure the mainscreen was looking forward, I am not sure what heading she flew when the bird of prey fired that torpedo and I am not sure how fast the ship could make a 180° turn.

It looked like they where looking forward, saw the torpedo and reversed, alas we never see any outside maneuvers which means also every scenario I above described could have happened.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

*Please GEoM, let this not turn into a visuals over dialogue debate*

Unless they somehow lost capability, then yes they should be able to fly backwards at warp based on BoT.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They warp backwards at least twice in TOS - once retreating from the cube thing in "The Corbomite Maneuver" and once in the Balance of Terror episode that you already mentioned. Anybody who wants to assert that there were 180 degree turns involved needs to show that there was; there's no evidence of it either time, and it's not good enough to simply say that it might have happened. I can equally find dozens of occasions when the ships are apparently going forwards but might actually be flying in reverse.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Its possible with the new warp fields of TNG, higher speeds must be done "forward".
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Doesn't the Big E reverse in TUC, as well?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

She does, she pulls away from the Bird of Prey.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think he meant at warp speeds. But as has been pointed out, we see them do it a couple of times in TOS, so apparently they can.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:Its possible with the new warp fields of TNG, higher speeds must be done "forward".
Does Starfleet equip their ships with gears 1-15 forward but only 1-6 reverse?

Really is there any reason why they would be limited to going forward at faster speeds? I know the ship is obviously "orientated" a certain way but...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always kind of assumed that it would be slower in reverse... no reason I can think of, just one of those "it makes sense" feelings.

I don't recall any instance of a ship warping backwards outside TOS.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I thought that as well, because my car goes faster forwards then backwards, as do most automobiles. However, I've also driven vehicles capable of equal speed in either direction.

Why am I talking about cars? Because I suspect that many folks base their understanding of what a ship might be able to do on our present vehicles, we're around them so much its become instinctive.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For that matter pretty much every vehicle goes slower backwards. Cars do, ships do, aircraft do, etc. Reverse is typically used for maneuvering into position, which is done at low speeds.