How does the Enterprise reverse?

The Next Generation
Toadnuke
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

How does the Enterprise reverse?

Post by Toadnuke »

I was wondering how it's done since the impulse engines are on the back of the saucer section.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: How does the Enterprise reverse?

Post by Deepcrush »

More then likely they have thrusters on the forward hull.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

:Q
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'm half tempted to punt this into the general sci-fi forum, as I'm aware of only a single major sci-fi ship that doesn't have the problem of having big thrusters on the stern and none on the bow, and that's only because police boxes don't have engines. Other than B5 ships which, IIRC, flip 180 degrees for deceleration, the answer is probably forcefields redirecting the thrust.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I think the most likely thing is that there are smaller, less noticable impulse engines on the bow for low level reverse impulse.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I think the most likely thing is that there are smaller, less noticable impulse engines on the bow for low level reverse impulse.
The RCS thrusters perhaps? :?

Those are way smaller than the impulse engines though..
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

no, I was thinking actual mini-impulse engines...the larger one would be used for primary impulse travel, however I don't see it as that much of a stretch to have four or five smaller impulse engines around the ship for difficult or reverse impulse.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lt. Staplic wrote:no, I was thinking actual mini-impulse engines...the larger one would be used for primary impulse travel, however I don't see it as that much of a stretch to have four or five smaller impulse engines around the ship for difficult or reverse impulse.
I see.

Don't recall if any of the blueprints show thrusters like those.

I think it was discussed in another thread that they use the warp field bubble for stuff like this, being that its asymmetrical.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Why would she need to reverse in the first place?

For smaller speeds there are the RCS thrusters, for anything else just move around 180° and accelerate in the opposite direction. I see no reason why a ship in space would need forward facing engines. (Not even real ships have those)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well real ships have the advantage that they can reverse their propellers to replicate having forward facing drives. Real ships need to be able to reverse mainly because steering is dependent on water flowing over the rudder, achieved only by moving forward or backward.

In space, there's no need to be moving in order to turn. So they don't need a forward facing engine.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Scimitar had some sort of forward-facing thrusters, IIRC. Dunno about the others.

Perhaps the navigational deflector's shape can be shifted to direct thrust from the impulse engines forwards? Or, hell, maybe the impulse engines have some sort reverse function.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Not only that, when other objects are nearby, tractor beams and repulsor beams can be used to avert collisions.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Per OP: How does the Enterprise reverse?

Once again, the answer is "Very Carefully" ... ... :angel1: [runs away]
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Per OP: How does the Enterprise reverse?

Once again, the answer is "Very Carefully" ... ... :angel1: [runs away]

Let off the gas, step on the clutch, and move the stick over to the right and down...
Atekimogus wrote:Why would she need to reverse in the first place?

For smaller speeds there are the RCS thrusters, for anything else just move around 180° and accelerate in the opposite direction. I see no reason why a ship in space would need forward facing engines. (Not even real ships have those)
Need to? IDK, but she does. Ever hear a captain say "all stop," and the ship slows down and stops without changing heading? Deceleration = acceleration in the opposite direction.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote: Need to? IDK, but she does. Ever hear a captain say "all stop," and the ship slows down and stops without changing heading? Deceleration = acceleration in the opposite direction.
Ok, fair enough. One could speculate that stopping the ship could be achieved not with reverese thrust but by manipulating space/time with the warp engines for example. One could speculate that deactivating the impulse drive just stops the ship dead in space. (Why not, it's not that anyone knows how exactly this thing is supposed to work right?)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.