Where do you think the Borg transwarp ship came from?

The Next Generation
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Where do you think the Borg transwarp ship came from?

Post by Black Jesus »

The Borg transwarp ship, also known as the Borg Type 3 vessel, was only seen once in the two-parter "Descent 1 & 2." In that episode, it's said that Hugh's new individuality spread to the other Borg on his ship when he was rescued at the end of "I, Borg." But in "I, Borg" Data states that the ship which is on its way to retrieve the crew of the crashed Borg scout ship is "cube-shaped." So Hugh was rescued by a Borg Cube. So where did the transwarp ship come from?

Sure, Hugh could've been transfered to a new prototype ship, the Type 3, and his individuality infected them, but he says that it happened to the crew of his ship pretty much right after he was rescued, on the Cube. So he's not talking about the Type 3, right?

There's no mention that the Type 3 has any Borg power signatures or other telltale signs of Borg technology.

Would the new Borg, under Lore's leadership, abandon their cube for a new vessel? Was their cube so badly damaged by their neglect (Hugh said many Borg starved to death on that ship) that they couldn't repair it? Perhaps the Borg from the cube commandeered a ship from an unknown species and then enhanced it with Borg technology as we've seen in the past.

I'd be interested in reading your speculations on the origins of the Borg's transwarp ship.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Where do you think the Borg transwarp ship came from?

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's likely that it was Hugh's original ship. The one that picked him up wasn't your typical cube, but a scout ship of the same design as the one Hugh was original aboard, and crashed. At least, that's what Data claimed. Given that he also claimed it had a mass of 2.5 million tons, giving it a density of about a thousand times that of lead, one or the other must have been wrong.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.