Picard's Worst Command Decisions

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Picard's Worst Command Decisions

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:
Mikey wrote:Not to sound like a Tau, but the excuse given for the relocation of Native Americans was often "the greater good (of white folks.)"
This is true but the benefit of hindsight shows it to have not really been for that so much as it was just racism and a land grab. And again I have to harp on the scale being off.
We've also been over the same comparison before - what made the Native American relocations abhorrent wasn't the fact of them but the manner of them. Had they been a simple transfer from one piece of to another of equal size, and as fertile, without mass murder, rape, torture, etc en route, then I very much doubt that that they'd be condemned by more than an infinitesimal minority.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The number of people who condemn an action and the rectitude of that action don't necessarily bear any relationship. You're right - less people would be condemning the actions. They still would be morally reprehensible actions.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm curious. Something about INS confused me. Geordi's eyes regenerated on the planet. Yet when we left, his eyes degenerated again. How would this radiation be able to heal somebody without constant exposure. You'd be pretty much trapped on the planet, or else your condition would return. A man with cancer could go live on that world for 50 years, but if he leaves.....the cancer comes back. He's thus marooned and doing an extended life sentence on that rock.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

He may not have had sufficient exposure to effect the regeneration on a permanent basis.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Kinda like the duct tape used to keep the bike together until you can get to the shop.

It was a temporary fix, with longer exposure becoming permanant.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, stitch, as you said before, they didn't know a whole lot about the stuff, they don't know if it would work perminently at all, and if it was then this whole arguement would be moot, because then the Bak'u would be immortal in all sense of the word, and care free, their children would die though.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

It's been awhile, but didn't somebody say the Baku would become mortal if moved?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I did. It was pretty much stated that when the radiation goes away, or they're moved, the Baku lose the fountain of youth effect.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thus the only way to enjoy its effects is to stay there........forever. Not a very viable option for a spacefaring civilization.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

But the goal wasn't the fountain of youth effect, it was to find a way to use the radiation in a medicinally useful way.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

If the effects go away then all the Son'a were doing was commuting murder by moving the Bak'u as it wouldn't help anyone because the only way to keep the effects is to stay on the planet, which as stated before is a very foolish idea.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Final list. Tyanks to everyone. :)

Giving Wesley an active commission

Refusing to directly intervene on behalf of the Ornarans from 'Symbiosis'.\

Rescuing Wesley in 'Justice'.

Flying through the nebula KNOWING that he was being pursued

1) Failing to destroy the Stargazer. ("The Battle")

2) Charging off into the Neutral Zone following the Yamato's course. ("Contagion")

3) Not heading home immediately in "Q Who?"

4) Returning Jeremiah Rosa to the Talarians ("Suddenly Human")

5) Not locking Maxwell in the brig when they first caught up with him ("The Wounded")

6) Not releasing Hugh with the anti-Borg virus ("I, Borg")

7) Hailing the Dyson's Sphere ("Relics")

8) Not deleting Moriarty ("Elementary Dear Data")

9) Getting involved with Neela Darren ("Lessons")

10) Meddling in the Ba'ku removal ("Insurrection")
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Thus the only way to enjoy its effects is to stay there........forever. Not a very viable option for a spacefaring civilization.
That's why the usefulness of the radiation to the UFP was dubious. They didn't have a specific aim in mind for the radiation; they intended to first begin research to see if it could be concentrated, refined, and applied.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

stitch626 wrote:The interesting thing is they had no way of knowing if the Sona's method would work. They were just taking their word for it. All the Sona had was a guess.
And you have to consider that they were enemies of UFP 'cause they were allies of the Dominion. What they really wanted was to take that thing for them and harm the Baku.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mark wrote:Thus the only way to enjoy its effects is to stay there........forever. Not a very viable option for a spacefaring civilization.
That was one of Picard's points, it was a viable option for the Baku, just another rock for everybody else.
Nickswitz wrote:If the effects go away then all the Son'a were doing was commuting murder by moving the Bak'u as it wouldn't help anyone because the only way to keep the effects is to stay on the planet, which as stated before is a very foolish idea.
And you would have kill the Baku, or made them mortals wich is the same at the end.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!