Picard's Worst Command Decisions

The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picard's Worst Command Decisions

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:You're right, GK. The film itself makes it clear that it isn't legal for the UFP to do so. Picard uses the threat of exposure as a club against Dougherty, which strongly implies that the admiral knew that his actions wouldn't be accepted by the UFP at large.
Yet Dougherty says he is acting on orders from the Federation council. So the council issued illegal orders, basically. I can see why they didn't want public exposure.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I know I'm reading into it, but I always preferred to take that as referring to a type of cabal within the Council. No basis, really, but it seems to make sense to me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not like anything else in Insurrection makes sense. I wouldn't worry too much about this point.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Maybe... he was lying?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's not entirely analogous, but this review points out that Picard faced a somewhat similar situation before - he was ordered to move a bunch of primitive settlers off of a planet that the UFP had agreed to give to the Cardassians. So it's quite possible that the UFP Council did order Dougherty to get rid of the Ba'ku.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It's not entirely analogous, but this review points out that Picard faced a somewhat similar situation before - he was ordered to move a bunch of primitive settlers off of a planet that the UFP had agreed to give to the Cardassians. So it's quite possible that the UFP Council did order Dougherty to get rid of the Ba'ku.
But in that case the primitive settlers were Federation citizens on a Federation planet that had been ceded to the Cardassians under an open treaty that everybody knew about. A government has every right to move its own citizens around for the greater good; it's doing it to some bunch of random aliens because they're in your way that's the issue.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

how is that they had cloaking tech in Insurrection???
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SomosFuga wrote:how is that they had cloaking tech in Insurrection???
I don't think the suits were "cloaking" tech as such. More a mobile version of the duck blind, like a holographic image projected over the suit of whatever is behind you. Or something.

Now the cloak on the ship... that's another matter. Dead clear violation of the treaty right there. Which, I suppose, is proof that authorised or not, at least SOME aspects of the mission were clearly illegal.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I don't think the suits were "cloaking" tech as such. More a mobile version of the duck blind, like a holographic image projected over the suit of whatever is behind you. Or something.
IIRC, all the suits were no longer cloaked once the base's holographic disguise was gone. Also, if you watch the movie, you'll see that the shadows of the observation teams were in the same direction as the shadows of the Ba'Ku/Na'Vi/innocent space farmers. I'd agree that the observation post simply projected images over the teams, using the hot pink color to key on (like green-screen technology today).
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:how is that they had cloaking tech in Insurrection???
I don't think the suits were "cloaking" tech as such. More a mobile version of the duck blind, like a holographic image projected over the suit of whatever is behind you. Or something.

Now the cloak on the ship... that's another matter. Dead clear violation of the treaty right there. Which, I suppose, is proof that authorised or not, at least SOME aspects of the mission were clearly illegal.
It was a pretty crappy cloak too...