Have you ever noticed....

The Next Generation
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Have you ever noticed....

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought he did pretty well in Insurrection.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Where he fled in the Federation flagship from two alien warships, and relied mainly on the intense stupidity of his foes to destroy them? :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Didn't Riker do that, I thought we were talking about Picard.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Didn't Riker do that, I thought we were talking about Picard.
Nope, it's been Riker for several posts now ;-).
Sionnach Glic wrote:Where he fled in the Federation flagship from two alien warships, and relied mainly on the intense stupidity of his foes to destroy them? :P
Oh you mean the bit where is orders are to get out of the system to allow clear communication (not go toe-to-toe with the alien warships) with Earth and then used natural resources against the enemy?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

In Peak Performance, didn't Data come up with some statistic about how he only employs conventional methods to solve a problem about a third of the time? Perhaps this is one occasion where a conventional method - namely firing all weapons - would have come in handy. Peak Performance did seem to portray Riker as some sort of uber tactician, just as Chain of Command turned him into superpilot.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Same episode put Riker in a dilapidated Constellation class expecting him to work miracals against the THEN Fed flagship
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IIRC, the only genius tactical management Riker performed in "Peak Performance" was to have Geordi, Wes, and Worf aboard... and listen to them. Not a feat to be discounted by any means, but hardly an example of his tactical puissance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:IIRC, the only genius tactical management Riker performed in "Peak Performance" was to have Geordi, Wes, and Worf aboard... and listen to them. Not a feat to be discounted by any means, but hardly an example of his tactical puissance.
I'd dispute even that - all they achieved was by cheating, Worf because he knew the backdoors into the E-D's computer and Wes/Geordi by nicking some antimatter before the exercise started. None of which could have been done in a genuine combat situation.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Much less against an enemy starship.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

But didn't they perform the same trick against an enemy ship vessel in that episode? How was never exactly explained, but they did manage to convince the Ferengi vessel that another ship was approaching.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thats because the plot powerd their way into hacking into the Ferengi ships computer. I guess Ferengi don't have prefix codes.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:IIRC, the only genius tactical management Riker performed in "Peak Performance" was to have Geordi, Wes, and Worf aboard... and listen to them. Not a feat to be discounted by any means, but hardly an example of his tactical puissance.
I'd dispute even that - all they achieved was by cheating, Worf because he knew the backdoors into the E-D's computer and Wes/Geordi by nicking some antimatter before the exercise started. None of which could have been done in a genuine combat situation.

Agreed that what they acheived would be nigh useless in a true combat situation. What I meant is that what Riker did - listen to the input of his subordinates, and lean on their expertise - is a hallmark of a good CO, but doesn't reflect at all on his tactical prowess.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

AFAIK......his only "brilliant" tactical move was in rescuing Picard from the Borg.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:AFAIK......his only "brilliant" tactical move was in rescuing Picard from the Borg.
I'll agree with this, and defending Riker's tactical brilliance by comparison has somewhat of a hollow tang to it, but it's not like we really see a lot of amazing tacticians in any of the series however. And this can largely be contributed to the fact that there's not brilliant tacticians as writers.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that it was outright stated that Starfleet doesn't consider tactics to be an important part of training, it's not surprising that even Starfleet's "best of the best" can be defeated by the ship of fools Pakled.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"