Have you ever noticed....

The Next Generation
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Have you ever noticed....

Post by Atekimogus »

...how similar the E-D looks in "Yesterdays Enterprise" and in "Generations"? I watched both recently and I thought it funny to find so many optical similarities.

Dimmed lightning on the bridge
The command chair is raised by a few steps
The equipment lockers left and right are replaced with okudagrams.
Side stations plus personell are added on both sides.

The "Generations" bridge is more or less a complete -if a bit more expensive - rip-off of the Y-E Bridge. :wink:

And then the last few minutes you have an almost completely copied and pasted scene with Geordi:" Coolant leak, we got a coolant leak, everyone out. Bridge we........etc". It is almost word for word the same dialogue, shooted in almost the same way. Only small difference is that on one occasion he estimates 2 minutes to warpcore breach on the other 5 minutes and the large control box which obviously has something to do with the coolant system (nice consistancy) explodes in Generations while he just open and looks at it in Y-E.

Just found it funny watching Y-E shortly after Generations and noticing all those little things. :D
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Have you ever noticed....

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Atekimogus wrote:...And then the last few minutes you have an almost completely copied and pasted scene with Geordi:" Coolant leak, we got a coolant leak, everyone out. Bridge we........etc". It is almost word for word the same dialogue, shooted in almost the same way. Only small difference is that on one occasion he estimates 2 minutes to warpcore breach on the other 5 minutes and the large control box which obviously has something to do with the coolant system (nice consistancy) explodes in Generations while he just open and looks at it in Y-E.
I noticed that myself the last time Y-E was on. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There's also the slight change that Riker didn't take the brunt of an exploding console in Generations, and the E-D put up a rather better performance in Y-E.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

What I did notice is that Data wasn't annoying in Y-E, while he was a "Wesley Crusher" size annoyance in Generations.
Made me hope they would order him to go in the Engineering section and try to stop the core breach by plugging his head in the Dilithium chamber... :P
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Praeothmin wrote:What I did notice is that Data wasn't annoying in Y-E, while he was a "Wesley Crusher" size annoyance in Generations.
Made me hope they would order him to go in the Engineering section and try to stop the core breach by plugging his head in the Dilithium chamber... :P
To be fair, he had the emotional maturity of what? A five year old?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

He had his emotion chip for what, a week? Not to mention it was malfunctioning. It did give us the 'Life Form' song, too.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:He had his emotion chip for what, a week? Not to mention it was malfunctioning. It did give us the 'Life Form' song, too.
That is NOT a bonus... :P
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Praeothmin wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:He had his emotion chip for what, a week? Not to mention it was malfunctioning. It did give us the 'Life Form' song, too.
That is NOT a bonus... :P
For me, it is. :lol: :mrgreen: :poke:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I liked it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

After 15 years since I saw the movie in the theaters which I thought at the time Data with emotions was amusing, now it is annoying.

I also did notice YE and Generations similarities as well. Though YE Enterprise did a much better job than Generations Enterprise did.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Tyyr wrote:I liked it.
Me too. Right up to Data's "Life form song" Generations is one of my favourite ST movies ever with absolutely beautiful soundtrack, optics, nice flow, cool villain etc. It is from there that the movie went downhill. In the space of about 30 minutes they manage to kill of the most famous Captain ever in a fistfight, destroy the iconic ship of a whole ST generation - which ironically never looked better than here - in a disgraceful battle and plague us with the nexus-scene which is a whole new level of boring toping some ST-TMP moments.

A shame since the sets, props and ships never reached the quality of generations until STXI. First Contact came close.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I admit the battle was cack - YE Picard would have lept over the weps staion, shouted "taken down by a 20 year old Bird of Prey? That'll be the day!", and blasted the Klingons to hell with a full torpedo volley.

I did love the saucer section crash though.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

kostmayer wrote:I admit the battle was cack - YE Picard would have lept over the weps staion, shouted "taken down by a 20 year old Bird of Prey? That'll be the day!", and blasted the Klingons to hell with a full torpedo volley.

I did love the saucer section crash though.
I concur.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I always thought that was funny. Riker can lead the E-D toe to toe against the Borg, but loses it too an obsolite POS.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Repeatedly - look at Rascals. I think his (excellent) performance in BoBW must have drained his lifetime quota of military competence.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.