Dyson sphere

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Dyson sphere

Post by Teaos »

One of the most interesting and annoying ideas seen in trek. The idea of the Dyson sphere is not new, infact the one seen in Relics is not the original idea. A Dyson sphere is intended to be a bunch of satellites orbiting the sun collecting energy. The one we see in a Dyson shell.

This idea would be very hard to make for several reasons. Due to the shape it would have no gravity in comparison to the sun. Meaning it would not stay at a set distance like a planet does with out some help by a propulsion system to keep it centered. Left by it's self it would just drift into the sun.

The second is resources, if all the matter in our solar system was used to make a sphere in the same orbit as Earth it would only be three meters thick. This is not nearly thick enough to hold together with any known material. There is also the problem that most of the mater in our and every solar system is Hydrogen and Helium not really the best materials to make a big ball out of.

But to hell with science the idea is just really cool.

The one seen in Relics is massive. Very thick and with a huge habitable area. The amount of people it could hold is mind blowing.

Even if we couldn't solve the problem of fixing the star we could cut it down the center and drag it to a new star.

Or even just scrap it. The amount of refined and very strong material in it would keep the Federation supplied for eons.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I gotta say, it was pretty cool to see. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I loved how it just appeared to be a flat wall from up close. For once they got the scale right. Although it would be hard to screw this one up.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, they only needed one note:
'Big'
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Just populate the thing and start breeding like rabbits! There is plenty of space in there for humans to run wild. When we hit the trillion count, then come back out and rule the galaxy!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Exactly. Shame the one we found is broken though.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SO FIX IT! Get a few hundred thousand hicks and park them there and tell them to start building and fixing. Put a few smart people there to guild them and in 20 years you'll have half a million hicks and a lot of usable ground.

Thats how we settled the US after all. Send out the hicks to make it safe then have them start building, once their done, kick them out to somewhere new to start fixin that area up and move into where ever you just kicked them out of.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The problem was the star inside it. I doubt hicks could fix that.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, but it doesn't matter how many breeders you send, you can't fix an unstable star...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True, just throw it out and lets start that part over.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Thats what I was thinking. Split it down the middle and move it to the next closets star.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeehaa, thats the spirit, lets cut it down the middle, move it, and i'll duck-tape it back together.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Is Arnold anywhere near Frederick? Because I know folks from Frederick, and there ain't nothing they can't fix with duct tape and beer.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

My dads half of the family lives and works all over that county. I used to work there myself till i moved.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What do you mean no-one can fix a star?
Send mcGuyver. 8)