The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote:
This is America, the land of the free and the home of the oil-dependent. In addition to the high usage of air conditioners, most heating over here is done via oil or natural gas.
Yeah because electric heat is so expensive.
What are you talking about? I said that oil and gas heat are common, not that there was a good or bad reason for it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:It usually drops to just around -1 in winter but usually 2 or 4 degrees and ubout 25ish during summer.
I assume you're using celsius scale? Then our average during summer is about 36 C and can get upwards of 45. It's oppressive, to say the least. In the winter, we can get down below -1 C.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
What are you talking about? I said that oil and gas heat are common, not that there was a good or bad reason for it.
There common because there cheap. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there. :?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:It usually drops to just around -1 in winter but usually 2 or 4 degrees and ubout 25ish during summer.
100F=~ 37C
25C=~ 77F

-1C=~31F
2C=~ 33F
4C=~ 34F
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I highest we have ever gotten here is 37. We usually get into the 30's maybe 3-5 times a year.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry, but I am an ignorant American and must give you my figures in Fareinhite (which I cannot spell for the life of me)
These are estimates.
Summer: 70-110
Winter: 0-35
Fall: 40-70
Spring: 40-60

this April/May: 33-89 :?
There's global warming for you; funky temps.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why do you guys still use Fareinhight? And why dont you switch to metric?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

In "Emissary" when Sisko asked if the temperature was unusually warm and O'Brien responded that it was stuck at 32 C, I actually had to go look up a conversion because I had no idea what temperature that was. It's embarrassing but at the same time it's not really our fault. If you aren't a doctor or a pure research scientist or something in the U.S., metric simply is never used, or is used only as tiny small print under a much larger American/English measurement.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Why do you guys still use Fareinhight? And why dont you switch to metric?
I've been wondering that ever since i learned that there are 12 inches in a foot, but only 3 feet in a yard.

I much prefer the metric system of 10's, makes so much more sense, and much eisier to remember for tests. Use it in physics all the time. Just not in everyday life. :(
Last edited by stitch626 on Tue May 06, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:Why do you guys still use Fareinhight? And why dont you switch to metric?
It's not as if we gather in a pow wow everynight and decide not to use metric. It has already been "brought over" in an official sense and is used for medicine and science and what not, the problem is that 90% of people 90% of the time aren't doing science in their daily lives or jobs and simply have no need or use for the metric system. The question really is like me asking you how come you don't use base 11 math and Mayan measurement units--- why the heck would you when your whole life and everyone around you uses something else?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I know freezing in F is about 34 and Body temp which is 37C is about 99F.

So when ever I hear a temp in F I just compare it to those two numbers and guess.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

32F=0C
body temp should be 97.4-98.7 (according to some scientists with nothing better to do.)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Actually, I've learned to do the conversion from miles to kilometers and Fahrenheit to Celsius in my head, but I write a lot of semi-hard ( :D ) sci-fi, and metric is almost certainly going to be the dominant scale in the future.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I was close enough to get the general idea.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry, I can't let stupid farenheit slip through my fingers, no offense intended. I wonder if I will ever be able to spell it right.