Dyson sphere

The Next Generation
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

What we need is for someone to develop a working M/AM reactor. Or a fusion reactor. Or solar panals on everyone's roof.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We'd need to find a good way to make a large amount of AM before we could make a M/AM reactor.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, well we can always think about that stuff after we commit to making it, just like everyone else in the power business (ConEd in New York City for example).
If you want, google "Con Edison power problems". It should be interesting.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:We'd need to find a good way to make a large amount of AM before we could make a M/AM reactor.
Yeah, right now we can't make enough in a hundred years to annihilate a grain of dust :? It'd cost at least some hundreds of thousands of dollars just for that, too. At least we know how to get hydrogen en masse once we achieve fusion.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Yeah, well we can always think about that stuff after we commit to making it, just like everyone else in the power business (ConEd in New York City for example).
If you want, google "Con Edison power problems". It should be interesting.
Yeah, it's just like much of NYC's infrastructure: old and decaying. A lot of the city's roads, water mains and sewers, electrical cables, subways, etc are from the 20's and 30's. Now, the roads can't handle the vastly greater traffic, water main breaks are a common occurrence (there was one recently in the vicinity of Shea Stadium, that delayed the start of an afternoon Mets game), and power outages are common in the summer. Much of Queens lost power for over a week in 2006, affecting LaGuardia airport but not nearby Shea Stadium (whose stadium lights draw huge amounts of power - most weekday games are in the evening).
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

and power outages are common in the summer.
Wouldnt power outages be in the winter since that uses more power?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Teaos wrote:
Perhaps in Europe and New Zealand where cold winters demand power for heating, but in the US it is hot summers that create a lot of power demand for air conditioning.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh right. Ha I dont know anyone who even owns an air conditioner.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nor do I, actualy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Funny, I've never used my heater once since moving in here. :D

A/C is literally necessary in Texas. It's my theory that southerners talk with such a drawl because everybody has mild heat stroke...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:
This is America, the land of the free and the home of the oil-dependent. In addition to the high usage of air conditioners, most heating over here is done via oil or natural gas.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
This is America, the land of the free and the home of the oil-dependent. In addition to the high usage of air conditioners, most heating over here is done via oil or natural gas.
Yeah because electric heat is so expensive.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We have a wood fire place for when it gets to cold a these things called windows for when its to hot.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:We have a wood fire place for when it gets to cold a these things called windows for when its to hot.
Yeah, dude. That doesn't work out too well when it's 100+ degrees outside.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It usually drops to just around -1 in winter but usually 2 or 4 degrees and ubout 25ish during summer.