Ship of the week: Negh’Var

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Ship of the week: Negh’Var

Post by Teaos »

From the Flagship of the Romulans last week to the Klingons this week. A good looking ship that just really looks like a Klingon design.

It's also good to see a decent size Klingon vessel for a change. Most are small ships like the Bird of prey, even the Vor'cha isn't a very big ship.

It's been shown to be pretty effective in combat as well doing some fair damage to DS9 during the attack.

While I don't think big ships fit in with the Klingon mentality well of personal honor maybe they saw the sense in them due to the war and local tensions.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Klngons may talk a lot about personnal honour, but they easilly throw it aside if other considerations come into play. As Worf said "In war there is nothing more honourable than victory." The Negh'var also jibes well with another aspect of Klingon culture - they're incorrigable show-offs. Whether that's showing off in personal combat or showing off by driving round in a seven-hundred-metre-long battleship, they're constantly posturing to demonstrate their superiority.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It's showing off in the fact that it is bigger than anything else they have made but it is still small compared to Romulan designs and Dominion ships. But it is a step in the right direction.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bear in mind, also, that the Negh'Var MUST be large compared to other Klingon designs - since disruptors cannot use arrays like phasers do, to increase the power of the disruptors to the level displayed by the Negh'Var requires really big disruptors... and hence, big power generation, big power transfer mechanisms, etc., etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But in the past Klingons have either used skill or swarp tactics to overcome enemies. Building one big ship is a big change for them.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps disruptors of that size and power are a relatively new innovations?
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Or perhaps with tensions rising they felt that they'd need heavier weapons. Dominion battleships did seem pretty strong. In fact I can't recal when one of their larger battleships was destroyed on screen. It seems like those two heavy cannons were designed to hit larger slower moving targets. They did seem to do a lot of damage to DS9, when compared to the dominion attack where they had multiple ships focus all their fire power to breach the stations sheilds.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It did seem more effective than smaller swarms of ships. Maybe with all the political up heaval thats been going on with the Klingons they decided they needed to do like the Romulans and build a Big ship for intimidation political posturing.

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

As well as the intimidation facet of building a behemoth of a ship, perhaps the klingons, designed the negh'var as a reactionary counter to other contempory capital ships, and its an indicator of klingon technological limitations/philosophies, that the ship had to be that big(?).......perhaps without the impetus of the dominion war,the klingons could produce a vessel that has the capabilities of the negh'var but is smaller, so maybe the empire, was limited by time constraints also.
Side note: I like the balance of the klingon fleet
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I quite like this ship. It's one of the few I have no major problems with.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's one of the few I have no major problems with.
"No major problems"? Who are you, and what have you done with Rochey?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:

Okay, rephrase that with:
It's pretty good, for a Trek ship.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

This ship is awsome, now the klingons need to start mass production of them. This ship is even useful against a dominion battleship. True it does have a lower combat rating, but its mark 18's plus 6 mark 12's are on the underhull, thats twice the firepower of a galaxy class that can fire at one target. Much of the DBS is based around shooting all around them, not focus fire. If the klingons had been looking to these as their new main line ships then the war would have turned out much better for them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

But as has been paraphrased before, the Klingons have little experience mass-producing ships of this size, and may not be resource-wealthy enough to start popping them out like rabbits. If anyone could build uberships in huge numbers amazingly quickly, no war would last too long.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is also the fact that whike Klingons may use these ships as flag sjips I doubt they would tolerate large fleets of them. It just doesnt fit in with their mentality.